WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [SOLVED] How to retain settings in a VMWare VM?  (Read 2031 times)

Offline lumosy

[SOLVED] How to retain settings in a VMWare VM?
« on: March 20, 2011, 06:10:26 PM »
I installed TC on a VMware VM. It works well.

On boot, it is set to DHCP. I manually changed the IP address to a static one and now I want it to be retained across shutdowns/reboots.

How do I do that?

BTW, I tried to follow the instructions for Frugal Install Tiny Core Linux but for some reason TC can't see any additional drives added by VMWare. The only thing 'fdisk -l' sees is /dev/ramzswap0.

How do I get TC Linux to recognize additional hard drives added to the VM?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:33:15 PM by lumosy »

Offline gutmensch

• Retired Admins
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
Re: How to retain settings in a VMWare VM?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 06:33:22 PM »
if you use the nodhcp boot code, then the dhcp client will not be started on boot. you can put your commands for a static network interface like

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw 192.168.1.1
echo "nameserver 192.168.1.1" >> /etc/resolv.conf

into /opt/bootsync.sh and backup that file in /opt/.filetool.lst with the command filetool.sh -b hda1.

if you want to use vmware drives, be sure to use IDE drives, the SCSI ones need drivers from scsi-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz. I'm only using IDE drives with vmware since I found no benefit of using the scsi ones besides of more trouble to get them to work ;)
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline lumosy

Re: How to retain settings in a VMWare VM?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 05:24:28 PM »
if you want to use vmware drives, be sure to use IDE drives
Thank you very much! That's exactly what I needed to proceed with the cfdisk procedure (which works very well for a VMWare virtual disk, except that "CD" ejecting and setting to boot from /dev/hda1 in BIOS is a bit trickier).

As for your tip for retaining a static IP, I haven't tried it because I found an easier way: Once the cfdisk procedure was completed successfully, I just select the "Save configuration" radio-button in the Control Panel > Network dialog box. When I reboot, it is automatically saved into backup in /hda1/tce.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:33:10 PM by lumosy »