WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Brother HL-2040 printer  (Read 5134 times)

Offline OldAdamUser2

Re: Brother HL-2040 printer
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 07:56:44 AM »
Thanks, Rich. Only now do I remember what samba services are for! They have to do with that dreadful, annoying, continuous message broadcast by Windows machines about networked printers: "Here I am! I'm waiting! Here I am!" I don't use a networked printer so I guess that theory is out.

Offline OldAdamUser2

Re: Brother HL-2040 printer
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 10:30:06 AM »
I was finally able to follow Guy's advice to the letter. I downloaded the printer driver here:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html

The good news is that Guy's advice worked very well indeed--up to a point. First I installed the printer with cups (plus footmatic-rip and ghostscript). Once the printer was installed and set up, the error log showed the same problems and the test page would not print. Then I removed cups from my onbool.lst, and downloaded cups1311. I set everything up again and got the exact same problems (Iwith a slightly different cups interface web page).

I suppose I can try downloading gutenprint, but it didn't work before and I think the driver I downloaded from Brother was already built-in to cups and cups1311. Vexing . . . but kinda fun in a twisted way.