WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Problem getting TFTP working  (Read 8614 times)

Offline mazebane

Problem getting TFTP working
« on: February 27, 2011, 09:17:21 AM »
I am running TinyCore 3.5 on an HP compact t5000, i have installed it to the 32mb flash drive and have 512mb of ram.

I have added openssh and have the passwords for tc and root saved so that i can access the machine remotely from my ubuntu pc but i cant get tftp to work how i presume it should be able to.

I renamed the .wbar file to wbar and was able to copy that to my ubuntu machine but was unable to copy anything to my tinycore machine.

The reason i want to get tftp working is that i want to be able to upload and download the ios form cisco switches, i can do it in windows but i want to beable to use TinyCore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Problem getting TFTP working
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:59:25 AM »
You can use either the busybox tftpd server or the dnsmasq tftpd server.
Use google to find and read the instructions.

Offline mazebane

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 11:07:08 AM »
Well i thought i had searched high and low but i hadn't looked at the busybox tftpd help i had just looked at the tftp help!

I can now upload files to my tinycore tftpd server as i have added a "-c" to the /etc/init.d/services/tftpd file to allow uploads, the line now reads:

/sbin/udpsvd -E 0 69 tftpd -c $HOME &

I was going to have a strop but i had another look and am happy i found it :P

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 06:09:18 PM »
Alternatively if you install openssh anyway, you could use 'scp' to copy files.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline mazebane

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 10:48:15 AM »
Is that a replacement for tftp?

I have got tftp to work so that i can upload and download Cisco switch ios images, im not sure if Cisco switches do scp, i know they do ssh but only if they have the right ios, which is why i want to use tftp :D

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 11:17:56 AM »
I'd rather say tftp would be a replacement where scp could not be used for the purpose of remotely copying files.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline mazebane

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 11:31:33 AM »
I had a quick google and it looks like it may be possible, but i need to get the right ios, which i dont think i have.

thanks for the info, its something i havent looked into before and it looks very handy.