WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Could we get the full updates page back?  (Read 4546 times)

Offline maro

Could we get the full updates page back?
« on: February 13, 2011, 02:11:26 PM »
There used to be a full updates page in addition to the "Recently Updated Extensions" page. The latter only shows a fairly short list (e.g. today and yesterday) and I believe it would be helpful to gain an overview of the updates covering a longer timeframe.

If the size of that longer list is seen as an issue I would suggest to use monthly lists (e.g. "updates_2011-02.html").

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Could we get the full updates page back?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 03:26:33 PM »
There used to be a full updates page in addition to the "Recently Updated Extensions" page. The latter only shows a fairly short list (e.g. today and yesterday) and I believe it would be helpful to gain an overview of the updates covering a longer timeframe.

If the size of that longer list is seen as an issue I would suggest to use monthly lists (e.g. "updates_2011-02.html").

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=6640.msg46475#msg46475
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 03:34:34 PM »
Hmmm...
I should have checked first...
There is another abridged update history here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/updates/updates.html

But in between, it looks like there is about one month missing   ???
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 03:58:50 PM »
I agree that a full update history can be useful info, and we are pondering on how to go about offering it without the need for a download of 650+kb and growing each time someone views the page.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 04:16:07 PM »
Perhaps using gzip compression?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 04:29:29 PM »
Yeah, offering a zipped archive file would be much easier than trying to break it up and archive it each month and then offer links to each month's archive.  

Actually it is 835kb at this moment, and bzip2 shrinks it to 44kb.  I will see what we think.   

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 04:42:18 PM »
Suggestion to extend the consideration of compression to the main extensions page

Offline maro

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 06:43:52 PM »
Yeah downloading a whole 850+ kBytes file was not what I had in mind. Whilst using compression would bring down the amount of bytes to be transferred it would OTOH make it impossible to directly use a browser for viewing the information (hence the idea of a monthly breakdown with 'previous' and 'next' links).

I'm happy to take a stab at the scripting side of this but can't make any promise of delivery for this week.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 07:05:32 PM »
Whilst using compression would bring down the amount of bytes to be transferred it would OTOH make it impossible to directly use a browser for viewing the information

That's not what I had in mind, but compressed in order to be viewed in browsers which support it.

Edit: perhaps I should have said transparent compression.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 03:04:12 AM by tinypoodle »

Offline tinypoodle

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 07:56:11 PM »
Yeah downloading a whole 850+ kBytes file was not what I had in mind. Whilst using compression would bring down the amount of bytes to be transferred it would OTOH make it impossible to directly use a browser for viewing the information (hence the idea of a monthly breakdown with 'previous' and 'next' links).

I'm happy to take a stab at the scripting side of this but can't make any promise of delivery for this week.

It is not a matter of scripting but instead still related to ibiblio's migration.
I have just been notified of a second phase is scheduled to begin March 8.
It is best that we lay low until things at ibiblio settle down. As much scripting was necessary just to be able to post a release and extensions.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:40:16 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 03:18:54 PM »
and I don't think we would have the permissions to change lighttpd's config

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 03:28:34 PM »
That would be a showstopper then, I guess   :(