WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How do I browse the web from the live CD?  (Read 1937 times)

Offline swiftlinuxcreator

How do I browse the web from the live CD?
« on: January 25, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
TinyCore is INCREDIBLY fast.  Even Puppy Linux and antiX Linux are much slower than TinyCore.  I think TinyCore and SliTaz are the only distros with a significant following that can work on a Windows 95-era computer.  Puppy Linux and antiX Linux need at least a Windows 98-era computer.

I realize this is a dumb question, but how do I start browsing the web when I boot up TinyCore from the live CD?  I understand that the founder used to work on Damn Small Linux (which I used in my earlier days as a Linux user).  Am I supposed to download an extension from the repository?  Where do I save the extension file? 

So far, I've only installed software from the repository AFTER installing the OS, not before.  I get the impression that the other lightweight distros I've used (antiX, Puppy, and DSL) have more in common with the heavyweight distros (like Ubuntu and Mint) than with TinyCore.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: How do I browse the web from the live CD?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 04:20:48 PM »
Tiny Core is very different from DSL, etc.
Short answer download a web browser of you choice.
You should carefully peruse ( http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7495.0 )
the documentation provided.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline jerramy

Re: How do I browse the web from the live CD?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 05:18:52 PM »
Use AppBrowser to download and install a browser.  I like "links", as it has few dependancies, and is small and fast.  It doesn't do much that's fancy, but it'll work for downloading files and reading forums.