WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: 16GB Ram and fglrx/compiz?  (Read 2249 times)

Offline chrispy23

16GB Ram and fglrx/compiz?
« on: January 24, 2011, 07:28:19 AM »
Whats the preferred way to get 16GB Ram and compiz running on an Ati board?

Is it enough to enable Highmem 64GB on a 32bit kernel? (dont have the memory yet, but will arrive these days)

I tried to compile fglrx for bzImage64, but failed in a dozen ways, not enough cross compile foo :(  Also tried Arslan's patch from another thread, with the same results like the other guy (module loads, but xorg fails to start, segfaulting on hsetroot)

I would love to use Tinycore with compiz on this box, but how?

greets, Chris

Offline Arslan S.

Re: 16GB Ram and fglrx/compiz?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 10:18:30 AM »
there is an ati drivers update (just a version update and fix for compilation error on 64 bit system but that does not resolve Xorg problem) waiting to be submitted but there is a problem with ftp servers preventing tc team maintaining repository

currently using ati drivers with 64 bit tc is problematic unfortunately, you can use tc 32 bit with fglrx and compiz installed but you will have 4 gb ram ofcourse

Offline chrispy23

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 01:58:21 PM »
Hey Arslan,

thanks for your reply, even if it means bad news.

Is there "anything" i as a simple user can do to help?
I am willing to experiment and/or can give root access to the box, whatever is needed...

How about the highmem64GB option?
As far as i understand, it should enable all 16gb (4gb max per process) and be compatible with the ati drivers, could anybody confirm this?

Would you mind explaining what the problem is? Is it a tinycore toolchain thingy, something with the way how the 64bit kernel is cross compiled? I banged my head against it for days (including adventures in 'man gcc' and similar) and would appreciate some tips/explanations from somebody, who knows what he's doing  ;D

And thanks for the compiz stuff, it runs very well with the 32bit kernel, please make it work with +4gb ram  :)

Greets, Chris

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 02:11:44 PM »
i am not 100% sure but the problem seems to be the incompatibility between 32 bit ati glx (Xorg) driver and 64 bit ati kernel module (fglrx)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 03:49:59 PM »
Just curious, does the FOSS radeon driver not work for you? At least it's 64-bit clean.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline chrispy23

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 06:10:59 PM »
@Arslan: thanks

@curaga: i though the foss does not provide opengl support, but i reread right now and it does and should with my radeon hd 4200.

i couldn't make it work quickly, but i'll investigate further, thanks alot for the pointer

greets, Chris