WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Persistency question  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Artie

Persistency question
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:57:34 AM »
I am running TC 1.2 from a cd, no internal HD but a USB HD attached. Can someone please explain in detail how I can boot from the cd and store settings on the USB HD?

Artie
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 08:07:59 AM by Artie »

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
Re: Persistency
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 08:08:49 AM »

Offline Artie

Re: Persistency question
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 08:30:11 AM »
I have read that many times but don't understand anything. Can someone who understands it please just explain how I can boot from the cd and store settings and installed programs on the USB HD in a language I can understand?

Artie

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 10:13:58 AM »
For backing up settings, the easiest way is to add the files or directories you want backed up to /opt/.filetool.lst.  Then with the control panel, use the backup/restore function and choose which device you want to store your backup on.  Your case would probably be sda1 since it is a usb device.  So enter sda1 when it asks for device.  Then you can perform the backup.  When rebooting, the backup should be found and automatically restored.  You may have to use the "tinycore waitusb=5" boot code, but I rarely backup to usb so I am not sure if that boot code is necessary.  The backup option is checked by default when shutting down or rebooting and that would result in a backup occuring each shutdown unless it is unchecked.
For storing extensions on that device, the easiest way would be to create a tce folder on the root of the drive directory (sudo mkdir /mnt/sda1/tce) and reboot.  There are ways to do this without rebooting, but this is the simplest.  After rebooting, when you use the appbrowser to fetch extensions they are automatically downloaded to the tce folder on that drive, and will be there next reboot.  The "tinycore waitusb=5" boot code will probaby have to be used for the tce directory to be found.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 10:16:34 AM by Jason W »

Offline Artie

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 12:41:52 PM »
Thanks. I followed the instructions. First time it did not work. Second time it did not work. Third time it worked! Did exactly the same thing every time. No idea why it did not take the first times.

Artie

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 09:19:30 PM »
It just takes persistency   .... :)