WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installation question  (Read 2776 times)

Offline mb123

Installation question
« on: December 11, 2010, 12:25:41 PM »
Hi All

I'm a TC newbie and have been trying to install to my old Sony VAIO laptop following the instructions on this site and also on Youtube. Everything seems to go fine until I get to the stage when I need to copy the boot file from the CD to the hard disk -:  cp -p /mnt/hdc/boot/* /mnt/hda/boot/      Using the preceding command, I keep getting an error message along the lines of - can't stat /mnt/hdc/boot/* no such file or directory.

I'd appreciate any assistance on this. Am I inputting the wrong command?

Thanks in anticipation

M

Online Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Installation question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 12:52:41 PM »
Maybe cp -p /mnt/hdc/boot/* /mnt/hda1/boot/ or similar?

Offline mb123

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 01:01:11 PM »
Hi Juanito

Thanks for your speedy reply. My original post should have read hda1 as opposed to merely hda.

Any other suggestions??

Regards

M

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 02:14:32 PM »
Are you sure /mnt/hdc is mounted first?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline mb123

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 09:07:55 AM »
Hi, yes, hdc is mounted. Could it be due to trying to install from a Linux Format coverdisc with other distros on there? Might it be better to download and burn iso file to cd?

Cheers

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 09:39:22 AM »
Oh, you should've mentioned that earlier. The file paths are likely to be different on a modified disc.

You could either search for them on that disc, burn a TC one, or just download them.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Guy

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 10:02:07 AM »
You can see where the files are using the file manager.

You can also copy the files using the file manager. You may need to run it as root.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 11:03:04 AM »
I could imagine that the CD of a magazine might have an .iso image of TC.
If so, you would have to mount that image to get at the files.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline wysiwyg

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 12:28:31 PM »
Everything seems to go fine until I get to the stage when I need to copy the boot file from the CD to the hard disk -:  cp -p /mnt/hdc/boot/* /mnt/hda/boot/      Using the preceding command, I keep getting an error message along the lines of - can't stat /mnt/hdc/boot/* no such file or directory.

What are the contents of the /mnt/hdc/boot directory (e.g. ls -al)?  There should just be a bzImage and tinycore.gz file (and possibly a directory) - at least by what my install media is showing.  Have you tried deleting any files from the destination directory that are also in the source directory before copying?  Also, perhaps try "sudo cp -p ..."

Dave

Offline maro

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 03:09:13 PM »
@mb123: So you have a CD-ROM which amongst other things contains TC. If I would be in your situation I'd try to "follow the trail": With that I mean to take a look into the boot loader configuration on the CD-ROM (depending on which boot loader is used this might be a file like 'isolinux.cfg', if ISOLINUX is used), and identify how that CD-ROM loads TinyCore.

I could imagine two different approaches: (1) use of discrete files for the kernel (original name: 'bzImage') and the initrd (original name: 'tinycore.gz'), or (2) use of an image file (which would itself contain the kernel and the initrd). I personally have so far only used (1) in such a scenario, but that not need to mean much.

In the end you just need the two aforementioned files. So you could also either download them from here or the (complete) TC ISO from here.

Offline mb123

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 03:15:30 PM »
Hi All

Thanks for your help. I've downloaded the complete Tinycore ISO file and burned to CD and have managed to install from that. My old Sony is now working again!

Cheers

M