WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: gparted bug?  (Read 1641 times)

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
gparted bug?
« on: December 05, 2010, 05:13:05 PM »
I just bought a media centre pc with a 1TB hadr drive. I wanted to partition the drive with most of it ntfs for wondoes media center, and a small partition at the back end of it with tcl. So I booted from my usb stick and proceeded to do the format with gparted... partitioning worked, ntfs format worked, but the format of the small partition at the back with ext2 or etx3 failed.

So I booted up with partedmagic instead and that worked. So this leaves me to wonder if there is a bug or something else in the tcl version?

Offline tinypoodle

Re: gparted bug?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 05:25:34 PM »
"failed" per se is not very conclusive for troubleshooting.
I'd give it a try with e2fsprogs_apps.tcz and util-linux-ng.tcz installed, before drawing any conclusions (that is of course in case you wouldn't already have done so).
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:54:55 PM »
As per the info file:
depending on the file operations desired, can be used with the
dosfstools-3, e2fsprogs_apps, jfsutils, mtools, ntfsprogs, reiserfsprogs and
util-linux-ng extensions

On one of the gparted menus there's something like "supported filesystems" which brings up a grid of operations that can be performed on the known filesystems. You can load one or more of the extensions above to change the grid.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 11:44:30 PM »
In my use of gparted, I load all of the optional extensions. In the list of possible file systems for formatting, all are enabled. (And anyway, the ext2/ext3 fs are enabled by default.) Remember, I formatted the bulk of it with tcl's gparted into ntfs with no problem.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:47:09 PM by jur »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 02:06:43 AM »
gparted has a function to save log to a file.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)