WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Flash Player Full Wide Screen - Openchrome  (Read 3157 times)

Offline Assembly Language

Flash Player Full Wide Screen - Openchrome
« on: November 18, 2010, 07:59:58 AM »
I'm attempting to get the flash player running full screen at wide screen resolutions.

I've succeeded on an Intel GPU but the slow CPU on the 12 year old computer cause jerky video.

On a slightly newer computer, the jerkyness is gone but with the nVidia GPU, I have the following problems:

With Xfbdev, the flash player runs full screen but I can't get wide screen resolutions.

With the “nv” driver, I can get wide screen resolutions, but the flash player crashes on full screen.  I've tried to turn off flash's use of hardware acceleration but, on some videos, the settings choice is greyed out.  On other videos, the settings popup freezes.

With the “nVidia” driver, xorg can't find a tinycore kernel component. I have installed nvidia-module-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz.

Please help.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:49:30 PM by Assembly Language »

Offline Arslan S.

Re: Flash Player Full Wide Screen
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 01:14:37 PM »
you need to install nvidia-glx.tcz and follow the instructions given in the info to setup nvidia driver properly

also make sure your hardware is supported by the nvidia driver available
see supported products tab
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-260.19.21-driver.html

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 09:33:21 AM »
Thank you for your help.  As you suggested, nvidia-glx.tcz does not support my old GPU.  I made a brief attempt to substitute the nVidia_drv.so for the GPU but that resulted in incompatibility with glx libraries.

I moved to a slightly newer GPU, an integrated Via S3G.  Using openchrome-svn.tcz resulted in a segmentation fault.  This same hardware works with a Debian distro but that brings along too much extra stuff.  I'd like to get it working with TinyCore.

Thanks again.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 10:42:36 AM »
What happens with the unichrome driver (included in Xorg)?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 12:38:32 PM »
Same results: Segmentation fault at address (nil)

Here is what I did:
Boot Tinycore base text
tce-load -i Xorg-7.5-3d.tcz (or Xorg-7.5.tcz)
startx

It uses built-in configuration, finds VT7205 UniChrome IGP and sets the resolution and 3DEngine initialized.

failed to load kernel module "via"
drmOpen fails
DRIScreenInit fails
Using XFree86 ... (XAA)
Loaded and initialized ... swrast_dri.so

BackTrace mentions libglx.so and libc.so.6

Thanks

Offline robc

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 01:29:09 PM »
There are more nvidia drivers available, just not in the TC repo. Links to legacy driver sources:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-71.86.14-driver.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-96.43.19-driver.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-173.14.28-driver.html

I also tried setting up a via chipset. I tried both the unichrome and openchrome drivers in Xorg, the repo, and directly from via. After two weeks I wasn't able to get them to work the way I wanted them to. The VGA and Composite video would work, but the HDMI was a no go.
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 04:19:13 PM »
From what I understood your described attempts were with Xfbdev and Xorg.
No mentioning what happens with Xvesa.
Did I miss something?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 04:23:25 PM »
More information.  I compared the logs from the working Debian distro and Tinycore.

Debian default loads openchrome and (II) CHROME provides the log entries.

Tinycore default loads openchrome and then loads unichrome and (II) UNICHROME provides the log entries.  Even with a minimum xorg.conf jsut loading openchrome, Tinycore then loads unichrome.

I appears that openchrome is not the driver used.

Re: Flash Player Full Wide Screen - Openchrome
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 02:54:45 PM »
I added Openchrome to the title because I'm a long way from solving the end problem of Flash Player at full wide screen.

tinypoodle: Xvesa result was like Xfbdev, I couldn't get the wide screen resolutions that Xorg provides.

robc: Thanks for the links.  I'm working on Via Openchrome at the moment.  I may go back to nVidia if I can't get Openchrome working.

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Flash Player Full Wide Screen - Openchrome
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 03:53:49 PM »
I added Openchrome to the title because I'm a long way from solving the end problem of Flash Player at full wide screen.

tinypoodle: Xvesa result was like Xfbdev, I couldn't get the wide screen resolutions that Xorg provides.

robc: Thanks for the links.  I'm working on Via Openchrome at the moment.  I may go back to nVidia if I can't get Openchrome working.

To narrow issues more down, you could try to play video files full screen to compare results with attempts of getting flashplayer full screen.

e.g.:

mplayer -fs -zoom <somemovie>

Mplayer-nodeps.tcz should be sufficient to try this, if you don't have any other video player installed already.

"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)