WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Flash upgrade  (Read 30875 times)

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: Flash upgrade
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 03:23:01 PM »
sooner or later youtube isn't going to work in tc anymore, and i'm going to have to go back to downloading the flv file everytime i want to see a video, and i'm really going to hate adobe for this.

before this flash business, at least you could watch mpg files in a browser with a plugin. i often wish flash had never been invented, but now that it is we're saddled with this kind of nonsense.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 01:08:52 AM »
If you really need to use 10, there are always the older versions that did not require glibc 2.4 to try.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 01:55:09 AM »
Patch didn't work on firefox or opera.

Offline neonix

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 09:03:02 AM »
If you really need to use 10, there are always the older versions that did not require glibc 2.4 to try.

You right. I just tested Flash Player 10 Beta 1 (10.0 b218). And it works very well in TC.
http://www.google.pl/search?q=flashplayer10_install_linux_051508.tar.gz
It support HQ clips in You Tube, and it's even faster than Flash 9.0.48. You can use this benchmark to check for yourself.
http://www.craftymind.com/factory/guimark/GUIMark_Flex3.html

I created an extenison that's very similar to getFlash9. It works with Minefield 3.0.4 and Opera 9.64, but there's some problems with perfomance in Opera. It slow down sometimes.

--------Links removed by Jason W due to licensing issues----------

Edit: It doesn't work with Seamonkey 1.1.15
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 05:37:09 PM by Jason W »

Offline pme127

Flashplayer 10 needs glibc library update
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 10:21:48 AM »
See the faq:
http://tinycorelinux.com/faq.html#flash

Currently Flash 10 is not compatible with TC.

Rather current TC is not compatible with Flash 10.

flashplayer-installer reports:
ERROR glibc library older than 2.3. Please update your glibc library.

What now?

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
Re: Flashplayer 10 needs glibc library update
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 12:29:32 PM »

Offline mikshaw

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 05:04:11 PM »
It's obvious that Adobe still has no concept of what it means to share your software.  If you create a binary-only application, you have to consider that not every operating system you claim to support is going to rush out and upgrade everything.  If you support only the latest glib, you support only a small handful of distributions.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 05:42:10 PM »
It's obvious that Adobe still has no concept of what it means to share your software.

they have no intention of pushing people to develop gnash, it's better to say they're helping linux users develop compatible systems with new efforts. they know exactly what sharing means and they'll stall it as long as they can with new features and empty gestures. it's not about helping linux users, it's about helping themselves.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 10:30:44 PM »
It's obvious that Adobe still has no concept of what it means to share your software.  If you create a binary-only application, you have to consider that not every operating system you claim to support is going to rush out and upgrade everything.  If you support only the latest glib, you support only a small handful of distributions.

On the other hand, with a  glibc that's already four years old, and most distros able to upgrade, some constructive criticism may be justified. It's fine with me when a decision has been made to support old systems, as the case with DSL.  Personally, I'd like the tc modular concept with only the basics in the core, so it can be updated regularly....leaving the work of rebuilding extensions to the community.  Since the browser is a basic essential, I wouldn't expect someone to hang around if videos don't run. 

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 11:09:14 PM »
Updates, libraries and kernel will come when ready. You have your choice of flash9 or now, as noted above in this very thread, flash10. I am using flash10 without issues. I am not aware of vidoes not working with TC.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline edwbri

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 11:46:10 PM »

You right. I just tested Flash Player 10 Beta 1 (10.0 b218). And it works very well in TC.
http://www.google.pl/search?q=flashplayer10_install_linux_051508.tar.gz
It support HQ clips in You Tube, and it's even faster than Flash 9.0.48. You can use this benchmark to check for yourself.
http://www.craftymind.com/factory/guimark/GUIMark_Flex3.html

I created an extenison that's very similar to getFlash9. It works with Minefield 3.0.4 and Opera 9.64, but there's some problems in with perfomance in Opera. It slow down sometimes.

----------Links removed by Jason W due to licensing issues-------------

Okay, i installed these and put libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib and /usr/lib/opera/plugins...

flash video works beautifully at 30fps, but cannot get flash audio working in Opera... 

Using PPI setup, OSS is installed on boot, and soundon is turned on before running opera... but still, no audio from flash presentations...

is there something i'm overlooking?

??? Help?!?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 05:38:36 PM by Jason W »

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 01:32:36 AM »
Updates, libraries and kernel will come when ready. You have your choice of flash9 or now, as noted above in this very thread, flash10. I am using flash10 without issues. I am not aware of vidoes not working with TC.

That's funny.....I thought it was a joke, but Adobe comes through!   Let's get serious though, all your developers swore off having anything to do with flash 10 upgrades.  Thanks to neonix for the news and
links.... :)

edwbri:  You need flashplayer.xpt in you opera/plugin folder, then it should work.  (I think it's in the getFlash.tce extension). 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 02:05:19 AM by jpeters »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 05:53:52 AM »
The beta 1 version of flash player 10 working with glibc 2.3.6 is not news.  The beta 2 version is when the glibc requirements were upped:

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2008/08/library_expansion.html

edwbri: You need to rename one of the files in /usr/lib/oss/lib to libflashsupport.so.  One is a ssl version and one is without, I normally use the one that is without.   Then restart OSS.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:59:55 AM by Jason W »

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 08:34:59 AM »
The beta 1 version of flash player 10 working with glibc 2.3.6 is not news.  The beta 2 version is when the glibc requirements were upped:

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2008/08/library_expansion.html

edwbri: You need to rename one of the files in /usr/lib/oss/lib to libflashsupport.so.  One is a ssl version and one is without, I normally use the one that is without.   Then restart OSS.

..meaning "news" that someone got it working with tc.  I have no idea why it's working without any of the stated requirements (which is why I didn't take the original post seriously).  This must be an earlier beta version before the requirements were upped.

Jason: I don't have that file in /usr/lib/oss/lib, and OSS sound works fine.   
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:39:50 AM by jpeters »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 12:17:45 PM »
Life had me in a ill mood this morning, I'm a little more cheery now.

I thought the libflashsupport.so was needed for flash sound with OSS.  It is great if it is working without it.