WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Mount USB (VBox 3.0)  (Read 6163 times)

Offline pinkfoxpart2

Mount USB (VBox 3.0)
« on: October 16, 2010, 02:35:22 PM »
can you mount usb  /sdb1 in tinycore while using virtualbox? I tried and its not giving me sdb1 as an option to mount.

Offline maro

Re: Mount USB (VBox 3.0)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 08:08:02 PM »
You will have to provide way more information to have any chance for help: What is your host OS, guest OS (I assume TC 3.x), VBox version (incl. PUEL or OSE), and is 'sdb1' referring to the name of a host or a guest device?

Offline pinkfoxpart2

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 08:17:11 PM »
My host operating system is windows vista.  I have installed Sun virtual box 3.0.  When I try to mount the USB in mount tool it doesnt give me my pendrive as an option which is usually sdb1.  When i go to mount to it gives me fd0 and fdc so when i close the virtual box and boot TC on a different machine from the BIOS screen everything that i downloaded while i was in Virtual Box is gone. 

I even tried this in cmd.exe
5.Type the following (replace # with your USB Disk number from step 2)
VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename "%USERPROFILE%"\.VirtualBox\usb.vmdk -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive Disk 1 -register

but i get s syntax error: : 'Disk'
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 08:24:15 PM by pinkfoxpart2 »

Offline maro

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 11:07:23 PM »
Hmmm, I'm still rather hazy due to the less than precise (and detailed) nature of your explanations: My assumptions so far:
  • (1) You have a USB drive connected to the host which contains a file system (i.e. a primary partition) that identifies when the host is running TC (or some other Linux) as '/dev/sdb1'.
  • (2) You are trying to use a TC guest in VBox (with the same USB drive now passed through from the host to the guest OS) and are attempting to use the primary partition on the USB drive as persistent storage for the guest.
  • (3) You attempted to install some extension during a guest session, hoping they would be stored on the USB drive. But when you booted natively (i.e. on the host), those extensions seemed to have "vanished".

A couple more details are now required:
  • (a)How do you boot your TC system when running either on the host or on the guest, i.e. have you installed a boot loader, kernel and initrd on the USB stick and use that to boot or are you using a CD-ROM (or an ISO-file)?
  • (b) What is the result when you execute cat /opt/.tce_dir (for either host and guest)?
  • (c) What is the result when you execute blkid /dev/[hs]d* (again for both host and guest)?
  • (d) What is the result when you execute fdisk -lu (and one more for host and guest)?
  • (e) Have you considered upgrading VBox to the most recent v3.2.10 as v3.0.0 is ca. 15 month old and quite a few fixes have happened since?

Notes: I'm ignoring the information about the 'vboxmanage' command, as this doesn't make any sense until I understand the circumstances of your setup.
Please use the exact command output in a quote (and obviouisly include the command as well) to describe what you mean with "When i go to mount to it gives me ..."