WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: libsoup-gnome and libproxy  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
libsoup-gnome and libproxy
« on: September 16, 2010, 05:13:52 AM »
libsoup-gnome is compiled against libproxy (which in turn is compiled against python-2.6) and looks for libproxy.so.0

I cannot use libsoup-gnome with libproxy-2.7 as this contains libproxy.so.1 rather than libproxy.so.0

A quick fix would be to add a symlink, but would it make sense to recompile libsoup-gnome against the more recent libproxy-2.7 (which in turn is compiled against python-2.7)?

Note that to compile against libproxy-2.7, which is compiled with cmake and does not contain libproxy.la, libsoup-gnome.la needs editing to replace libproxy.la with -lproxy

Offline Arslan S.

Re: libsoup-gnome and libproxy
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 03:54:12 AM »
ok i will update it soon but is there any good reason for naming it to libsoup-gnome-2.7 or can i just change dep libproxy to libproxy-2.7 ?

edit: update submitted
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:14:52 AM by Arslan S. »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:54:06 AM »
Not totally obvious, but I would suggest that something that ultimately relies on python-2.7, should be named *-2.7

I've just been recompiling rhythmbox and it took quite some time to get things sorted so that the many, many deps only related to python-2.7 as opposed to a mixture of python-2.6 and python-2.7

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 01:44:58 AM »
juanito, libsoup-gnome has nothing to do with python, it is libproxy which contains python module, i believe splitting out python module is better idea than naming libsoup-gnome to libsoup-gnome-2.7

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 04:37:22 PM »
I missed this thread earlier.  I see the libproxy extension has one .py file in /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/.  That directory is recognized by python-2.7, and should run from there fine as long as there are no .pyo or .pyc compiled modules in there.  The C or C++ shared/static libs as well as the development stuff should work independent of python versions.

In this case, libproxy.tcz should work with python-2.7.  Or possibly, the .py file could be split into a libproxy-python.tcz extension like Debian does it.

If an extension does not have a script that calls on a specific version of python, and has its .py files in a python path (site packages directories for either /usr/local/lib/python2.6 or /usr/local/lib/python2.7) it should work independent of which python is being used.

Perhaps on this python thing we can focus on looking for extensions that must be python version specific versus python modules that will work across either python version.   If we want to keep the .pyc and .pyo files for performance, then we could separate the python modules out in extensions and then use the -python-2.7 suffix for 2.7.

Personally, I would prefer to not include the .pyc and .pyo files for the sake of portability and simplicity, allowing extensions to work with either python when possible.