WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: MPlayer Creates 2xMenu Entries  (Read 2221 times)

Offline SamK

MPlayer Creates 2xMenu Entries
« on: September 16, 2010, 10:15:58 AM »
On a fresh install of TC3.1 using JWM-Snaphot when MPlayer-svn-gtk2.tcz is listed in OnBoot two entries for it are created in the JWM "start" menu.

Offline SamK

Re: MPlayer Creates 2xMenu Entries
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 04:10:35 AM »
Some further information to try and help diagnose the problem.

kmaps is the only unrelated extension used in each of the following examples.
The results obtained are consistent and repeatable.

Using FLWM
  • Installing MPlayer-svn-gtk2.tcz (downloading from repo) to OnBoot = 1x MPlayer menu entry
  • Rebooting PC = 1x MPlayer menu entry

Using JWM (not jwm-snapshot)
  • Installing MPlayer-svn-gtk2.tcz (downloading from repo) to OnBoot = 1x MPlayer menu entry
  • Rebooting PC = 2x MPlayer menu entries

Using JWM-Snaphot
  • Rebooting PC = 2x MPlayer menu entries

Offline roberts

• Retired Admins
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:16:41 AM »
If you look in /usr/local/share/applications you will see two .desktop items for mplayer.
1. MPlayer-svn-gtk2.desktop
2. mplayer.desktop

On a single file menu based window manager this will result in the two different menu items being created.

It is therefore not an issue with the JWM(s).  I would question if having two .desktop items for Mplayer is really what is desired or appropriate.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline SamK

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 04:57:04 AM »
If you look in /usr/local/share/applications you will see two .desktop items for mplayer.
1. MPlayer-svn-gtk2.desktop
2. mplayer.desktop

On a single file menu based window manager this will result in the two different menu items being created.

It is therefore not an issue with the JWM(s).  I would question if having two .desktop items for Mplayer is really what is desired or appropriate.

@Jason - as you are shown as the maintainer could I enquire if there is a particular reason for both .desktop items being included?  If it is possible, I request one of them be removed and the a replacement extension be issued.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 06:47:48 AM »
Ref http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7165.0

Is this the same thing? One of those being NoDisplay?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 07:48:39 AM »
The creation of the first round of .desktop files was automated, and as I have not dealt with the gtk2 Mplayer in a while it is most likely that the mplayer.desktop is the file that is from the upstream source, while the one with the extension name is the one created for TC.

I have caught flak at one time for changing or removing the upstream .desktop files to make a package more TC friendly.  But I will look at those files and perhaps merge them into the MPlayer-svn-gtk2.desktop file. 

Offline SamK

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 03:22:58 AM »
I have seen (but not yet used) the re-issued extension with the fixed .desktop file.  Many thanks for your swift actions.