WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Bootcode Reported as Deprecated by Grub2  (Read 2808 times)

Offline SamK

Bootcode Reported as Deprecated by Grub2
« on: September 03, 2010, 10:27:59 AM »
When using the bootcode vga=788 Grub2 generates an error message indicating that it is now deprecated in favour of "gfxpayload=800x600x16,800x600" and fails to set the required resolution.  The boot completes OK but the text portion (pre GUI) is 25 lines x 80 columns.

For information here is the relevant line from /mnt/hda1/boot/grub/grub.cfg:
"linux /boot/bzImage quiet norestore tz=GMT+1BST,M3.5.0/2,M3.5.0/2 kmap=uk home=hda1 opt=hda1 vga=788"

The bootcode works as expected with legacy Grub and, of course with TC when not using Grub.

aus9

Re: Bootcode Reported as Deprecated by Grub2
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 04:10:10 PM »
hi

EDIT

Remove that bootcode or cheatcode as my wiki was wrong

...sorry...that section removed now ....after seeing your post.

2) post your full grub.cfg in a code box please

3) If you do not have the unicode font installed (correctly) the IF-THEN statement for setting gfxmode will fail.

The default resolution for grub2 is 640x480....you can run strings against (from memory) the normal.mod to confirm

4) You can test out different resolutions by booting up using commands at the grub2 menu stage.  Try

set gfxmode=800x600x16  versus

set gfxpayload=800x600x16

5) I am working on another wiki atm so I am hoping you can give me some feedback on whether you have success

if you command works.....then you can remove the if-then statement and use an absolute.

I will leave the if-then in the wiki as I do not know if people have installed unicode or not (or correctly backed up or not)

regards

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:31:12 PM by aus9 »

aus9

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 09:43:42 PM »
hi

I won't edit that above post any further but do a second reply to some testing I just did.

1) assuming you have installed the unicode font and created a grub.cfg as a copy of my wiki entry...ignoring your partitions are likely to differ

THEN

on reboot...press C for command and then run command mode comand = "lsmod" without the quotes.

The image in the wiki was for lsmod ....for rescue....but you should already see gfxterm as a already loaded module as per first attachment

2) By pressing c for command mode ....we are out of gfxmode so you may need to edit your grub.cfg to absolutes....and I was able to duplicate your error as per second attachment

3) Your grub.cfg ....if you agree lsmod worked for you ....could become absolute like this

insmod gfxterm
set terminal_ouput=gfxterm
set gfxpayload=sizexsizexdepth (as discovered by vbeinfo and wiki)

menuentry...blah blah

your menu can remain unaltered or...these bits can precede your linux line

menuentry "test resolution" {
above 3 lines
blah blah
}

good luck

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 09:46:07 PM by aus9 »

Offline SamK

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 02:07:48 AM »
Hi aus9

Thanks for the reply but a further issue has developed - see this thread:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7170.0

I don't know at this point if the two matters are related but will freeze this post until a robust GRUB2 set-up can be established.  If this cannot be done legacy GRUB works reliably and may be dependable.