WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Encrypted $HOME  (Read 2758 times)

Offline peterc

Encrypted $HOME
« on: June 03, 2010, 12:12:49 PM »
I'm interested in having an encrypted $HOME (especially since I want to carry it around on a USB flash drive), but apparently, support for encrypted $HOME was removed a while ago (I haven't been able to find any explanation as to why). What's the recommended way of doing this myself? I'm familiar with LUKS and encfs; I could also pick up eCryptFS as well.

Offline batnas

Re: Encrypted $HOME
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:51:31 PM »
You could make a remaster of initrd where you add some encryption, and edit tc-functions to decrypt the folder again on boot..

\\Batnas

Offline batnas

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 03:07:28 PM »

Offline peterc

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 04:13:29 PM »
You might want to have a look at:
http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~cis1xx/resources/pgp.shtml
I'd much rather have all the files automatically encrypted, rather than doing them individually. It just makes more sense to me for encryption to be automatic and in the background.

Offline peterc

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 04:15:25 PM »
You could make a remaster of initrd where you add some encryption, and edit tc-functions to decrypt the folder again on boot..

\\Batnas
Well, I guess if I have to, then I have to, but I was hoping that there was an easier way--for example, someone had already compiled the encryption modules or something like that.  :)

Offline batnas

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 06:49:50 PM »
I don't think so...
However the wiki have excellent guide on how to remaster. It really is no that difficult  ;)

\\Batnas