WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: module sb not found  (Read 1983 times)

Offline nathan.f77

module sb not found
« on: April 11, 2010, 06:38:11 AM »
Hi there,

In Damn Small Linux, I had sound working fine on my Compaq Evo T20 thin client. All I had to do was run "modprobe sb mpu_io=0", and the sound device worked fine, and I could play mp3s with mpg321.
I cant figure out how to make my sound work on tinycore! I tried alsa, and ran alsaconf with many different "compatibility" modules, such as sb16 and sb8.. but nothing worked. The alsa speaker-test program couldn't even find the device it was supposed to have configured.
So can someone please show me which tcz package to install, so that I can simply run 'modprobe sb mpu_io=0' and have everything work like it used to?

The only reason I switched to tinycore was because the 2.4 kernel in DSL seemed to be too old to compile "shell.fm". Well, shell.fm seems to work great on tinycore, but there's no sound!!
As a side note, if anyone has been able to get an Evo T20's soundcard working on any distro with a > 2.6 kernel, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Nathan B

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: module sb not found
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 06:53:35 AM »
If you load the alsa extension via the Appbrowser, it should load all the extensions you need, then try:
Code: [Select]
$ sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/alsasound start

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:07:52 AM »
DSL used the old OSS, it's not even available for newer kernels.

Try some of the alsa modules, or instead of alsa you could try OSS.tcz. Though if it's a true isa soundblaster, I'm not sure if OSS4 supports it.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:35:22 AM »
/usr/local/etc/init.d/alsasound uses lspci to find and start alsa.  Alsaconf should find the old ISA cards, but I have not used ISA in a while so have not tested recently.  I may try in the next few days if I can find one of my old cards.

Offline nathan.f77

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 05:56:55 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies. I got it working in alsa with this in my bootlocal.sh :

echo "alias snd-card-0 snd-sb16"         >> /etc/modprobe.conf
echo "alias sound-slot-0 snd-sb16"       >> /etc/modprobe.conf
echo "options snd-sb16 isapnp=0"         >> /etc/modprobe.conf

/usr/local/etc/init.d/alsasound start

Cheers!

P.S. To any forum administrators: New accounts should have email notifications on posts enabled by default. I am new to the forums and I didn't realize that anyone had replied to my posts until now...