WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Compiz on tinycore  (Read 1902 times)

Offline loserguy

Compiz on tinycore
« on: April 11, 2010, 02:34:52 AM »
Hi,

I'm running microcore with openbox as a wm on my msi wind netbook. I've just gotten compiz to run and am thinking of replacing openbox with compiz stand alone.

I'm trying to get compiz to start as the default wm when I boot up. Can anybody please help advise me on how to go about this on microcore? Currently I am starting with openbox, killing openbox and running compiz --replace ccp from an open aterm. Should I be adding lines to startx or .xsession or something else entirely?

Thanks in advance  :) !

Offline maro

Re: Compiz on tinycore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 04:27:11 AM »
AFAIK the WM is started in '~/.xsession' via
    "$DESKTOP" 2>/tmp/wm_errors &
and the value for $DESKTOP is derived from '/etc/sysconfig/desktop' (set in '/usr/bin/startx'). So doing something like
    echo 'compiz' > /etc/sysconfig/desktop ; startx 
might do the trick.

How you make the change persistent depends on your setup, but I guess a boot code of 'desktop=compiz' might work, if you ensure that your "compiz extension" is available when '~/.xsession' gets executed.

Offline loserguy

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:33:21 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply!

I might not be able to try this out until next weekend because of work  :-[ , but these screenshots show roughly what I am trying to get. I've looked at startx but am still a little bit confused over how it actually fits in the scheme of things  :-[ . Does it run $DESKTOP or does it run some other scripts first?

BTW, I am running with norestore boot codes and confs stored in a "zzzsettings.tcz".

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 11:29:51 AM »
You could make it a proper WM extension, so that others may enjoy it too.
If it doesn't handle menus, it would be rather simple (take a look at the aewm++ extension).
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.