WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Just random folders saved after ignoring backup error  (Read 2529 times)

Offline SixT7

Just random folders saved after ignoring backup error
« on: March 14, 2010, 10:18:37 PM »
Hi,
the last time i shut down the computer i got an error during backuping. I dont remember it exactly but it was something with tar and members and a removed '/'. Is that enough to know what error it might have been?
I thought that I'd already have a backup and when i make a new backup, it would just update the old one so ignored that error.
I installed tc on friday so i didnt lose anything important. But whats interesting is, that in the last session suddenly all the status icons were replaced by white boxes with a red X in it. Then, the same happend with the symbols in beaver. Now, after the reboot, its the same in firefox, too.
I'm ex-windows-user so my first thought was 'reeinstall the whole OS!' but i think in linux there are better ways to fix that stuff especially because our internet connection is kinda slow so i dont want to download all the programs again. And also some programs are still working perfectly. Furthermore i think im could learn a lot while trying to fix that stuff. :D

So, here are the problems i have listed:
- In Pidgin, Firefox and beaver, icons are replaced by white boxes with a red X in it
- I cant start xonclock anymore because .xonclockrc is missing
- conky works fine but never the less i get the error
Code: [Select]
Conky: not implemented obj type 47   i get this error 4 times a second. x)

I'm gonna use tc a little now and ill report all other problems i find.

Thanks, SixT7
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:39:20 PM by SixT7 »

Offline Guy

Re: Just random folders saved after ignoring backup error
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 11:00:40 PM »
If you delete the backup file, also /home and /opt if you use persistent home and opt. Then restart the computer. It should start the same as a new installation.

You may need to run On Boot and On Demand.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline SixT7

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 11:03:34 PM »
yeah, but thats what i dont want. I wanted to fix that stuff :)
Do you have a solution for any of those problems?

EDIT: How do i apply changes in AppsAudit? or could someone just post a .xonclockrc file?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:42:28 PM by SixT7 »

Offline Guy

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 02:15:32 AM »
It is difficult to know what is happening.

You could save a copy of the home and opt directories, do what I suggested in the previous post, and compare the old with the new.

There are many possibilities. If you are running from a usb drive, maybe the usb drive is faulty and it will happen again.

Maybe you have done something unintentionally to cause this. Is that a possibility?

Did you use USB Install or another method? If you used another method, you may have done something wrong.

Has it only happened once, or often? Have you had backup working correctly at other times?

Because there is more than one error, I suggest you start with the basics, such as determining whether the usb drive is faulty or not. If you find out it is faulty, you need another drive. If you find out it is not, you can then consider other possibilities.

If the usb drive is faulty, maybe other files are corrupted or lost.

Doing what I suggested in the first post will determine if it is easily fixable to begin with.

If it is fixable, using it will determine if it happens again.

If you get another error during backup, see if you can get more information next time.

If you find it is not easily fixable, and files are corrupted or lost, reinstall Tiny Core (using USB Install) and see if it happens again. If you do everything correctly, and you continue to have faults, it is very likely that the usb drive is faulty.

Offline SixT7

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:56:06 AM »
I installed it with USB install and usually it works perfectly, but yesterday i added something to the xfiletool file. Maybe that caused the error. and as far as i know, i have only those 3 problems after losing the files. Do you have an idea how to solve those?

Offline combo3

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 02:08:50 PM »
What did you add to .xfiletool.lst ?

Maybe removing that will solve your problems.

Offline SixT7

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 06:34:35 PM »
the .xfiletool.lst wasnt saved, so making backups is not the problem i have.
For my problems, see first post.

Offline Guy

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 03:34:09 AM »
It sounds like something in your backup file is corrupted, and causing the problem.

If you delete it, it will be automatically set up correct again.

If you don't want to do what I suggested in my first post, see if you can determine which directories corrupted files may be in (those related to the programs you are having problems with) and delete those directories. Backup when shutting down. Then reboot.

If you are concerned about losing personal files. Create a directory in /mnt/sda1 (use the correct partition) and save personal files there. If you delete /home you can still access them from their new location.

Offline SixT7

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 11:44:31 PM »
thank you, that worked :)