WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: kmaps Newbie here and fail to get Swedish going  (Read 4237 times)

Offline newbody

kmaps Newbie here and fail to get Swedish going
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:14:37 AM »
I first downloaded kmaps.tcz and then did
sudo loadkmap < /usr/share/kmap/fi-latin9.kmap

But no special chars typical for Swedish.

What could have gone wrong?

Should one restart or something for it to work?

I am writing from Firefox and TC now. Installed using the frugal with two files on / and small text in menu.lst on grub4dos neogrub version.

How does one make the changes of keyboard permanent?  sorry two question in one post.
Acer D250, Snow Puppy, TinyCore and on HP SR5622, Snow Puppy,

Offline alu

Re: kmaps Newbie here and fail to get Swedish going
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 02:01:29 AM »
after loading your kmap file, you have to restart X (ctrl+alt+backspace). you can add the following line to your file /opt/bootlocal.sh:

loadkmap < /usr/share/kmap/fi-latin9.kmap

don't forget to do a backup in order to save the changes done to bootlocal.sh

Offline 4-stroke

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 02:26:07 AM »
sudo loadkmap < /usr/share/kmap/fi-latin9.kmap

But no special chars typical for Swedish.

What could have gone wrong?

You need the sv-latin1.kmap for åäö. I don't have Tinycore installed right now, but I think that's what it was called.

Edit: Yes, it is. I just checked.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/tcz/kmaps.tcz.list
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:34:57 AM by 4-stroke »
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." - Douglas Adams

Offline newbody

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 04:09:43 AM »
Thanks, I also need to learn how one can set it persistent in frugal install from internal HDD.

Could one not do us other linux distros that one add something like that in the boot up menu.lst

Okay it has not loaded the kmap.tcz yet. So usage of it. Hm. TC are a bit different. You need to know what you want and in sequence.

Offline 4-stroke

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 07:44:08 AM »
It should work if you put kmap.tcz in tce/optional and add

Code: [Select]
loadkmap < /usr/share/kmap/sv-latin1.kmap
in bootlocal.sh.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." - Douglas Adams

Offline newbody

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 08:42:42 AM »
I trust the logic of your suggestion because you are most likely more experienced and good at logic while I am at lost and most likely trying to do something that is impossible.

One need unionfs and loopbacked files in ext3 to something on the NTFS Vista machine I have.

I get many distros to boot fine and I can use them as long as I don't try to save changes using a casper-rw file because then the often crash at boot. If I never try to save then they are stable for days even if I reboot ten times that day.

But I am wildly offtopic in this thread now and linux people are very keen on one questio per thread and not any deviation or derailing.

I got badly bruised on a swedish forum they got upset by me.

So I feel rather insecure just now.

I will start another thread within some days or weeks. I have to read up and test a lot first.

I guess Robert has already warned that it is not possible on NTFS but works on Fat32.

I have had it two time on Fat 32 but never been able to on NTFS AFAIK.

I try to find relevant quote and link to what I am talking about.

6.1.2. From Windows

It is also possible to have Grub4dos (grldr) loaded directly by NTLDR and also Vista's boot manager. See here (external link).

6.2. Menu entry

The next step is to create a suitable entry in menu.lst for the tinycore/microcore linux iso

title Tinycore Linux
find --set-root /images/tinycore_2.5.iso
map --mem /images/tinycore_2.5.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)

That will then boot the iso as if it were on a CD and load ISOLINUX.

Note that an emulated CD cannot be accessed once the Tiny Core kernel starts executing http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/map.htm#hd32 (external link):

"The "map" process is implemented using INT 13 - any disk emulation will remain accessible from an OS that uses compatible mode disk access, e.g. DOS and Windows 9x. The emulation can't however, be accessed from an OS which uses protected mode drivers (Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista, Linux, FreeBSD) once the protected mode kernel file(s) take control."

In particular, Tiny Core extensions in a top-level /tce directory of an ISO cannot be loaded from an emulated CD. The boot process does work with extensions that are contained within the /opt/tce directory of the initrd file /boot/tinycore.gz (or /boot/microcore.gz) on an ISO on an emulated CD.
From here

Installing TC on USB
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/tiki-index.php?page=Installing+TC+on+USB#APPENDIX_B:_Persistent_home

My grub4dos but made by Neogrub looks like this.

title superos
find --set-root /casper/vmlinuz
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper splash --
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
boot

title tinycore
kernel /tinycore/bzImage
initrd /tinycore/tinycore.gz
boot

title puppy stardust
find --set-root /pup_stardust-007/vmlinuz
kernel /pup_stardust-007/vmlinuz psubdir=pup_stardust-007 puppy pfix=ram
initrd /pup_stardust-007/initrd.gz
boot

TC boots fast and reliably that way. PuuyStardust can save due to that one make use of UnionFS save file.

SuperOS Ubuntu fail to save persistently due to NTFS but does save when I have it on USB Fat32 with grub4dos and a casper-rw file from pedndrivelinux. Multipass boot of many distros on one USB memory. I tested on one 4GB flash and a 20GB HDD in external USB mounted one.

So that was iso frugal install on them. Which I want to have on the NTFS too but I should start another thread about it but I am not good at structuring and know too little at the moment to have any usage of the answers.

Ago. who is one of the developer of Wubi told me in their forum that wubi has a frugal option and can save on NTFS but I did not understand his anwers and he is too busy to explain it further.

So sooner or later I want to ask that question here when I am knowledgeable enough to get the answer.

here is his text that is way above what I grasp now as a newbie.

By the way, wubi already supports frugal installation (not r/w although it can be changed by adding a persistent file)... Run wubi.exe from windows, then when you reboot press ESC and choose the last option... That is a frugal installation... If you want it permanent simply make it the default boot option in ubuntu\install\boot\grub\menu.lst. Note the demo mode option is deleted after a linux side loop installation.
Last edited by ago; August 21st, 2008 at 10:08 AM..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?s=fa57d16156126338c247f3b7c8882a80&p=5635552&postcount=4

Just as a background to my worried questions about how can I make it remember kmap on a NTFS formatted HDD when grub4dos dont' have such commands that allow it yet? Or me misunderstand the text?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 10:30:51 AM »
Why NTFS? Running any linux on it is basically asking for trouble..

You could either create a new partition, fat32 or any linux fs, or save settings & extensions to an usb stick, for example.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline newbody

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 11:13:47 AM »
Why NTFS? Running any linux on it is basically asking for trouble..

You could either create a new partition, fat32 or any linux fs, or save settings & extensions to an usb stick, for example.

don't get me wrong. I do love Linux since it got created. I bought the Computer Mag that had Knoppix on it way back when I even had no good computer to test it on. At that time me had very old computers. z80 and such. I did Forth and Assembler.

I've read as many texts about linux as possible.

But commercial reality for us who don't build out computers but by new ones with the specifications we like to the lowest available price.

So 2003 I bought a HO/Compaq the first real computer me owned. It had winXP on it. A real one that I payed for separately.

Then 2005 I bought an Aopen MZ... and then 2006 a Packard Bell A6 Laptop. Then 2008 a HP/Compaq SR5622SC the one I use now which has Vista on it so it is not wise to do as you suggest.

You can do it because you know what you do. I know too little and easily could destroy the Vista recovery partition. It is a OEM version so I don't own it. They only repair or give service if one have not resized it done partition.,

So I use an external HDD 10GB instead to see what happens when one test things.

On the internal HDD I have tested SuperOS Ubuntu 9.10, Puppy Stardust 007, and TinyCore 2.0, in frugal install. Works good but only Puppy remember things due to they make use of UnionFS save files.

On the external I have SuperOs Ubuntu 9.10 and that one do save bootmarks and it does remember keyboardmaps for Sweden. So I feel good about it.  I do this editing from SuperOS now.
but I failed to set up Tuquito Linux. Very cute behavior. I started out as it should but then found the SuperOS iso and took "index" files from that one and pictures for the desktop. Very odd for me.
I did trust they would only do such within their own iso and not look for other isos on same hdd.
Maybe it found it in the casper-rw save file? How can one look what SuperOS did put there?

I am a rather confused old man and has to be cautious about what I do because lack of knowledge makes me prone to screw up things very fast.

So no offence but I will only do partition on external media.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:48:02 AM by newbody »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 02:06:22 PM »
It's cool, you can keep only settings on the external media if you wish.

Assuming it's in a proper fs, create a "tce" directory there, and in that directory an empty file "mydata.tgz". The autodetection will take care of the rest.

You might need to add "waitusb=10" to your grub config file, if your drive is slow to recognize.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline newbody

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 09:30:51 PM »
Thanks

I remember that I have read something identical or vry similar but that it has to be a linux format on that drive. Fat32 or ext2 or 3 or 4 or something newer variation.

I guess me has a long struggle before I do all that work.

Take SuperOS that is 169 extensions of  Ubuntu from repositories.
I am a too lazy guy to do this on TC.

But I like that minimalistic nature of TC and that RobertS was so early in doing frugal install.

I mean even today there are loads of people who say that real install are full install. Frugal is for DSL and Puppy and such. Their linux are not supposed to deal with frugal install at all. There is only one way to do things. Do full install kind of thinking. The real way.

I like the choice of flexibility that TC and other such more modular projects have.

But my poor brain doesn't cope with so many decisions. Hahah I loved the dream I had around 1985 to do an OS in Assembler subroutines. I also tried Forth programing language. Must have been earlier than 1980 or so.
I have a poor memory. My brain is not on par with my dreams. I fail to remember what one are supposed to do in each situation.

Thanks indeed for caring about me. I most likely come back in a year or two. but I make do with more out of the box linux versions for now.