WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: New persistence mode idea.  (Read 2899 times)

Offline deniska

New persistence mode idea.
« on: December 27, 2009, 11:58:03 AM »
Don't use any mounts or ramdisks. Just remount / somewhere to harddisk and run some scripts there.

I think it will be good option for some people who need minimal extendible linux system without strange option for persistence (I can't even install video drivers because I have new /usr every boot. The backup script is so slow if I try to back up whole /usr).

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
Re: New persistence mode idea.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 01:44:46 PM »
Just back up specific files that are not recreated on boot time. You'll find there are few files that need this treatment.

Offline deniska

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 07:07:09 AM »
Just back up specific files that are not recreated on boot time. You'll find there are few files that need this treatment.

More and more files are still in ramdisk. And tinycore becomes not so tiny. RAM is bottleneck on major amount of systems, not hdd space.

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 07:26:57 AM »
how about making your home on hd and installing those big packages in ~/.local path
and adding ~/.local/bin to PATH in ~/.profile and ~/.local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf
also add etc/ld.so.conf to backup file list in /opt/.filetool.lst
and don't forget to remove home from backup list

that's what i do  ;)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 07:29:08 AM by Arslan S. »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 09:56:22 AM »

More and more files are still in ramdisk. And tinycore becomes not so tiny. RAM is bottleneck on major amount of systems, not hdd space.

Extensions are only in ram if you selected that. Prior to v2.7 you were offered Install or Mount, likely Install was used, therefore copy to ram occurred. Had you used Mount your ram requirements would lessen considerably. You can upgrade to v2.7 where the default  Install is now mapped to mount method.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline deniska

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 11:11:17 AM »
«Solutions» mentioned here are dirty hacks. Tinycore has a very simple structure, but all these mounts, backups and other workarounds are silly if I want light and simple linux distro.

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »
«Solutions» mentioned here are dirty hacks. Tinycore has a very simple structure, but all these mounts, backups and other workarounds are silly if I want light and simple linux distro.

Have you read the Core Concepts page?  TinyCore may or may not fit your needs and desires, but the tips listed in this thread follow the philosophy of TinyCore.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 11:30:07 AM »
Indeed it does and results in a pristine boot each time.

But to suggest that / mapped to a spinning platter results in a scatter mode installation that is not supported. It can be done as discussed here:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=308.0
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline deniska

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 11:46:02 AM »
It can be done as discussed here:

Thank you for link.