WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: librsvg gdk-pixbuf.loaders missing svg_loader  (Read 19379 times)

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
Re: librsvg gdk-pixbuf.loaders missing svg_loader
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 08:08:13 AM »
Most other distros don't have shared-mime-info as a dep of gdk-pixbuf2, and gdk-pixbuf2 functions by itself without it as a dep.  But   Arch linux has shared-mime-info as a dependency for gtk2, Debian has it as a dep of gtk2, gentoo has it as a depends of gtk2 when certain use flags are used.  It appears gtk2 works with some packages without shared-mime-info, and we previously been adding shared-mime-info as a dep to apps that need it to function.   Though it would add ~500kb worth of dependencies for simple apps like leafpad and Mplayer-gtk2 that doesn't need it, it would also be simpler and save time and build/runtime troubleshooting to add shared-mime-info as a dep of gtk2.  Simplicity vs minimal deps and small size potential.  I slightly lean toward issuing a statement in the gtk2 info file that many graphical apps require shared-mime-info rather than to impose it on small apps that don't need it.  I will ponder it today.

If shared-mime-info is added as a dep of gdk-pixbuf2 or gtk2, I think it would make more sense for it to be a dep of gtk2, though it technically wouldn't matter as I don't know of any uses of gdk-pixbuf2 outside of it's use with gtk2.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 08:37:32 AM by Jason W »

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »
I think I see a fairly precise way of handling it.  The gdk-pixbuf-csource binary depends on shared-mime-info to function, I saw this in a Debian bug report.  So perhaps moving the gdk-pixbuf-csource binary to the gdk-pixbuf2-dev extension since it is a development binary (Fedora splits it that way).  And then adding shared-mime-info.tcz as a dep of gdk-pixbuf2-dev.tcz.  That would provide the needed dependencies when the csource binary is called on, and gdk-pixbuf2-dev will be a dep of gtk2-dev, so it will prevent the build errors.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 11:54:21 AM »
sounds good to me  :)