WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Help: Howto Convert tce to tcz  (Read 2687 times)

Offline mrwutang

Help: Howto Convert tce to tcz
« on: November 13, 2009, 07:38:31 AM »
Hey all, hows everybody?Im new to Linux and been using Ubuntu for past 6 months. Found Tinycore on google and decided to try it out, its awsom. Tiny distro which I can carry around in ma pendrive, daym what else could I ask for ;D. So all the extension I downloaded are tce, and now its takin a toll on ma ram, is there any way I can convert them to tcz? There are a lotta files and I've a slowass net.Dont wanna spend another day downloading all that stuff. :o
Also if theres any other way to get tinycore to copy all my files to pendrive instead of ram, it'd be cool. Sory, if this is a lame question yall. Using TC has been a great experience so far, if I can fix this, theres no need to go back to ubuntu for me, I can be all TC all tha way  :P. Thnx for any help.
Edit: I also googled it a lot. COuldnt find anything. Im stumped.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 07:45:30 AM by mrwutang »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Help: Howto Convert tce to tcz
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 07:57:30 AM »
So all the extension I downloaded are tce, and now its takin a toll on ma ram, is there any way I can convert them to tcz? There are a lotta files and I've a slowass net.Dont wanna spend another day downloading all that stuff.

If you have or download the squashfs-tools-4.0.tcz and tar.tcz extensions, you can convert your tce extensions like this:
Code: [Select]
$ mkdir /tmp/pkg
$ cd /tmp/pkg
$ cp /path-to-extension/extension.tce /tmp/pkg
$ sudo tar xzf extension.tce
$ rm extension.tce
$ cd ..
$ sudo mksquashfs pkg/ extension.tcz
$ sudo chown tc:staff extension.tcz
$ cp extension.tcz /path-to-safe-place
however, if the tce extensions contain config files in /usr/local/etc or similar, you will not be able to edit those config files - see the wiki entry for extension building or these forums for more details on how to get around this using start-up scripts.

Also if theres any other way to get tinycore to copy all my files to pendrive instead of ram, it'd be cool.

If you have the tcz extensions in a folder named /tce on your pendrive (eg /mnt/sda1/tce), then they will automatically be "mounted" on boot rather than copied to ram and will comsume far less ram.

Offline mrwutang

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 08:04:06 AM »
Wow, that was fast, thanx Juanito, Ill try this. Although I donno what effect not being able to edit those config files will have. This communitys great.  Did I say thnx? :P. Thnx again.

Offline mrwutang

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 08:24:40 AM »
And one more thing. Is there any diff between tcel and tce or tcz adnd tczl? Im too much of a noob arent I? :-X

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 08:35:19 AM »
tcel is equivalent to tczl, tcem to tczm.

The "l" means run "ldconfig" to load libs, the "m" means run "depmod" to make modules available

Offline mrwutang

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 08:57:42 AM »
Much obliged Juanito. Cant thank you enough. ;D. So Does that mean all I have to do is squashfs those tce archives and I get a tcz?That cool. Hope I  make extensions someday. Wishful thinking :P

Offline mrwutang

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 09:08:25 AM »
Made a tcz, it was easy. But I checked the online repository to be sure and theres a diff between the sizes the tcz files there and mine ???.For ex the firefox.tce files 10.1mb after squashing but its 12.something mb in the repository. Whats happening?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 10:20:10 AM »
The default block size in the squashfs-tools extension was changed in the last few days, which would make the resulting tcz file size larger - did you use the latest version of the extension?