WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tc-terminal-server  (Read 2769 times)

Offline danielibarnes

tc-terminal-server
« on: October 14, 2009, 08:20:50 PM »
The tc-terminal-server script has the note that it contains a workaround for a buggy busybox udhcpd. What exactly is the nature of that bug?

I am trying to use Solaris for my TFTP server with the TC udhcpd as the DHCP server and it doesn't seem to work. I can retrieve the pxelinux.0 file from the server via the tftp client, but not via PXE booting. It appears Solaris prevents the retrieval of the buggy name given to it by udhcpd.

Any ideas?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: tc-terminal-server
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 03:45:42 PM »
The busybox udhcpd makes (or at least made) the client ask for the correct filename plus one weird letter. That's why the symlink is created. Maybe creating the symlink on the Solaris box would be enough?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 05:09:50 PM »
Yeah, I tried to create the symlink on Solaris using the tc-terminal-server script. It created the link, but PXE still didn't work. I had to give up on TC and installed Debian with the ISC DHCP server. The minimal Debian installation I made is less than 600MB, but that's still way more than it would take for TC to do the same work. I'll create a ISC DHCP extension when I get a chance.

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 05:15:26 PM »
fwiw, dnsmasq is also a dhcp server that is capable of handling pxe, and is already in the repo.

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 05:27:28 PM »
Thanks for the tip. It merits investigation, especially since I understand it does DDNS. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday figuring out how to configure ISC DHCPD and BIND for DDNS. I finally have that working, but if I can figure out how to configure dnsmasq for PXE and DDNS I'll use it.

EDIT: dnsmasq does all that I need and is an order of magnitude easier to configure. thumbs up!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:04:18 PM by danielibarnes »