WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Freezing when running out of RAM?  (Read 1627 times)

Offline fladd

Freezing when running out of RAM?
« on: August 24, 2009, 03:58:02 PM »
Hi there,

could it be that TC is just entirely freezing, when RAM is full?
I have a VM with 128MB here, booted into TC, installed compiletc.tce and then minefield.tce and during this installation TC froze. Before that I tried installing bonecho.tce after compiletc.tce and opera.tce and it also froze during the installation.
Is this normal? Shouldn't then just the extension not be installed if it does not fit into RAM anymore?
This is very strange.
Any ideas on this are highly appreciated.

Regards,
fladd

Offline Guy

Re: Freezing when running out of RAM?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 04:29:50 PM »
Computers with small ram will run better if you use tcz extensions (if you are using PPR mode).

When using 128 mb of ram, you need to select programs which run with this. Not all programs will work with 128 mb of ram.

Try different programs and see which work.

You could even post your results to share with others who use 128 mb of ram.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline thane

Re: Freezing when running out of RAM?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 12:31:09 AM »
I've never filled up RAM downloading extensions (I have 512 M) but I have filled it up downloading large files from the web (default browser download area is in memory). And yes, TC froze up completely when that happened. Since I'm using a read-only CD and saving to a USB stick, I just powered off and rebooted, of course losing whatever had changed during the session but otherwise no harm done.

I use tcz extensions for everything except the windows manager (flwm). Larger apps (Opera, mplayer) take longer to come up the first time I open them but other than that I haven't seen any loss of performance.