WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Offering Xfbdev from XFree86 on PiCore  (Read 2096 times)

Offline CNK

• Wiki Author
Re: Offering Xfbdev from XFree86 on PiCore
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2024, 06:55:18 PM »
@Mung: It works with some Unicode, I don't know if it works with all - I avoid installing big Unicode-rich fonts anyway because personally I'd be happy with just ISO-8859-1 and consider Unicode (especially silly things like emojis) extra bloat to be avoided. They don't support GLX. I doubt they build with tcc, but that's something you should try yourself if it matters to you.

Extensions were made for Xfbdev and all the other XFree86 libs which are smaller than the extensions in the repo. I've used them in my project because they're small and start up quicker on a Pi Zero. I guess Neonix disagrees on that, but I've tested it myself and drawn my own conclusions. I figured nobody else was interested so the effort of uploading them would be a waste of my time, but I can dump them on my website for manual download+installation.

I think I've seen that links in the forum to directories of out-of-repo extension downloads are allowed, even if direct download links aren't? @moderators: correct me if I'm wrong and I won't do that (but I haven't got time for submitting properly to the repo right now either, let alone rebuilding and testing for the current PiCore version).

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Offering Xfbdev from XFree86 on PiCore
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2024, 07:54:37 PM »
Hi CNK
... I think I've seen that links in the forum to directories of out-of-repo extension downloads are allowed, even if direct download links aren't? ...
That's correct.