WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: har(d)ware: WTF toshiba-satellite wifi hard blocked (rare fix!)  (Read 291 times)

Offline mocore

• ~.~

from
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-wireless-function-key-is-not-working-in-my-toshiba-satellite.959579/

Quote from: hasi_12
I have a solution that i found on the net. I had the same problem except, my satellite was brand new, and even when i would use the function keys, nothing would work. So, first disconnect your laptop from power, remove the battery, and press the power up button while holding it down for atleast 30 seconds. i know it sounds weird, but that's what i thought at first, and it worked. Ofcourse while holding down the power button, nothing will come on as there is no power source. after you're done, put the battery back on and connect the laptop to power, then switch on the laptop, your wifi should be working. Although, you should always have the battery atleast half, or connect the laptop to power when using wifi. however, that's how i dealt with it. Hope it helps and works. post back if it does

ref : https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-wireless-function-key-is-not-working-in-my-toshiba-satellite.959579/post-7806654

unbelievably wifi now works in linux
when it was previously/inexplicably  hard-blocked   :o

**voodo emoji**

hopefully ;) this might help others
 with similar hw/problem

Offline mocore

• ~.~
Re: har(d)ware: WTF toshiba-satellite wifi hard blocked (rare fix!)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2024, 08:39:02 AM »

pondering this & other hw init/cfg `madness`
i was reminded of this
related topic  : "Open Source Firmware Conference : I have come to bury the BIOS, not to open it"
 @ https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25959.msg166511.html#msg166511

Offline vinceASPECT

Re: har(d)ware: WTF toshiba-satellite wifi hard blocked (rare fix!)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2024, 09:03:38 AM »
Hello  Forum,

Gosh  what a nightmare  , if these devices are  (Laptop)  perhaps near new and at prices that  Far Far  push away what's reasonable.......

i  too have heard of depressing the hard power  setting's and waiting on equipment.............who would even know?

Also these nuances of design  can be really unobvious and un-explanatory..........for example  many devices will EMBED  the  TELCO's  antenna's with peculiar architectures into the "CASING   perimeter" of the screens

Blue tooth, wi fi,  and Sim cards for 4g TELCO......( Antenna)

unless you realise  that the device is reliant on  SET default states it needs to achieve .....to even function right......( then you could have issues)

so , for example, if you decided  you just desired to unhook the Laptop screen CONNECTOR because you actually use a REAR PLUGGED in dual monitor setup and don't really like the Laptop screen quality......then BAM......you have now lost all your communications for that device.........wi fi, 4g TELCO....blue tooth

So.

i actually recently discovered that the very INCEPTOIN of Laptops is they are a "wrongly designed" invention in their very conception.
Laptops "should" have been initially designed in their very inception as
a GRAPHICAL MANIPULATION tool for software ecosystems.........sadly they were
not designed correctly and that feature did not appear until much much later with usb
graphics tablets and graphics TOUCH laptop screens and now tablets...

put plain and simple. a LAPTOP  is a wrongly designed device in it's very
inception .

We have suffered them for many many decades until it's finally been corrected.

it's not the only story either.......all domicile and portable computing devices
on earth are wrongly designed in that they do not contain TWO identical
hard drives or SSD  devices that work in an identical fashion in REALTIME
and in parallel..........it's  a massive design flaw for decades...

You CAN now get Laptops that have this........there are a few brands that do it.

regards
C
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 09:16:26 AM by vinceASPECT »