WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: issues with inital setup  (Read 2252 times)

Offline pixel

Re: issues with inital setup
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2024, 08:16:41 PM »
that worked for persistence for me :) for whatever reason it also gave me a gui instead of just a terminal (after installing and rebooting i only had access to the ctrl-alt-f1 terminal and not the ctrl-alt-f2 gui, but now i do.

so now i'm trying to support my touchpad. i did some more looking and the wiki says tc uses a lighter flavor of xorg for the display server so i tried downloading all of xorg and starting it with startx after i made the x11 directory and conf files yada yada yada. when i do startx it has no output, but it refreshes my icons in the taskbar and now the windows ui is slightly different. i'm assuming that means it loaded correctly. my laptop finally now also recognizes my touchpad with motion and click, but no scroll. is there some conf file i need to add for scroll just like the conf file to stop screentearing or would it just be easier to add a new desktop environment such as gnome to possibly fix that?

Offline CentralWare

• Retired Admins
Re: issues with inital setup
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2024, 12:09:28 AM »
...for whatever reason it also gave me a gui...
Odds are the extensions were already installed, but without the system being able to "find" the tce directory, it could not load any of the installed extensions as it didn't see any.  This is especially common when the storage device isn't "online" when the boot process begins, thus the USB WAIT boot command helps with this even if it's not specifically a USB device.

...so now i'm trying to support my touchpad...
Without a make/model of the laptop not even G00gle can find you an answer :)
Try installing both usbutils and pci-utils and see what it returns as to the hardware in your machine.  (PCI command is lspci, USB would then be lsusb)
You may need to install a firmware extension that's specific to certain USB, Serial, PCI, etc. devices in order to open doors to things such as scrolling, assuming drivers for the device are not proprietary.

That said, if you were able to determine and install driver support, you may find that the original "light weight" X server might do just fine without all of the "Xcess."