Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Bugs

gio (part of glib2.tcz) shows gnutls-related warning

<< < (3/5) > >>

GNUser:

--- Quote from: Rich on May 10, 2024, 10:37:02 PM ---Add  gnutls38.tcz  to the beginning of your onboot.lst file.

--- End quote ---
That's a nice idea, thank you. It solves the problem without adding complexity to the system or a burden to my memory.

--- Quote from: Rich on May 10, 2024, 10:37:02 PM ---See if any extensions that depend on  gnutls35.tcz  complain.

--- End quote ---
None so far.

--- Quote from: Rich on May 10, 2024, 10:37:02 PM ---I'm hoping maybe  gnutls38.tcz  is backward compatible.

--- End quote ---
It seems so. Which raises an obvious question: If it turns out that gnutls38 is completely backward compatible, why do we need both gnutls35 and gnutls38 in the repo? It would be simpler to:

1. rename gnutls38.tcz to gnutls.tcz, rename gnutls38-dev.tcz to gnutls-dev.tcz
2. remove gnutls35.tcz and gnutls35-dev.tcz from the repo
3. make sure all .dep files that contain gnutls35{,-dev}.tcz or gnutls38{,-dev}.tcz are edited to contain gnutls{,-dev}.tcz

Juanito:
gnutls38 is only semi-backwards compatible.with gnutls35.

Although both gnutls35 and gnutls38 contain libgnutls.so.30, gnutls35 contains libgnutlsxx.so.28 and gnutls38 contains libgnutlsxx.so.30. I'm not sure how many extensions have a dependency on libgnutlsxx, but there will be a problem if there are some that do.

I've been occupied with eliminating dependencies on openssl-1.1.1 and will now look again at eliminating dependencies on gnutls35 - the most pressing being libcups and libavformat.

Rich:
Hi Juanito
Supposing gnutls38 were changed to something like this:

--- Code: ---libgnutlsxx.so -> libgnutlsxx.so.30.0.0
libgnutlsxx.so.30 -> libgnutlsxx.so.30.0.0
libgnutlsxx.so.30.0.0
libgnutlsxx.so.28 -> libgnutlsxx.so.28.1.0
libgnutlsxx.so.28.1.0
--- End code ---
That should force the newer version when compiling and
still allow older programs to find the gnutls35 version.

Juanito:
My feeling is that those changes would lead to confusion.

To force compiling against gnutls38, gnutls38-dev needs to be loaded before gnutls35-dev or, failing that, the rootfs symlinks to gnutls35-dev can be removed and replaced with those of gnutls38-dev.

GNUser:

--- Quote from: Juanito on May 11, 2024, 03:29:49 AM ---gnutls38 is only semi-backwards compatible.with gnutls35.

Although both gnutls35 and gnutls38 contain libgnutls.so.30, gnutls35 contains libgnutlsxx.so.28 and gnutls38 contains libgnutlsxx.so.30. I'm not sure how many extensions have a dependency on libgnutlsxx, but there will be a problem if there are some that do.

--- End quote ---
This is crystal clear. Thank you for the clarification.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version