WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Trying to provide better to provides.db  (Read 2103 times)

Online Rich

• Administrator
Re: Trying to provide better to provides.db
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2024, 11:07:42 AM »
Hi CentralWare
... I'm guessing 9.x was an experiment on www to reduce repo downloading (as it was not repeated in 10.x) or maybe a web based file app? ...
You can read about it here:
https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,22016.0.html

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2024, 12:43:33 PM »
edit: We used to have an online search at packages.tinycorelinux.net, but bmarkus didn't have the time to maintain it.
The domain (DNS) entry for packages is still lit, it's just seemingly empty.
The concept of creating a STATIC web pages for repo file listings is not the way to go. This would explain why it was so short lived.
  • IF the repo machine supports PHP, this would be a very simple enhancement
  • IF nginx supports index file scripting, which I believe it does, again -- simple enhancement
    (ie: sending HTML files through the PHP parser, not just .php files)
  • LOL We can even have it "themed" similar to the TinyCore website colors

I have a few ideas I'll run past everyone when time exists to act on 'em.
I have to give @Nathan_SR kudos, though... not too shabby of a job trimming the fat off his original! :)

nginx: To update the engine to parse HTML files through PHP I believe it's just by adding the following line to www.conf
Code: [Select]
security.limit_extensions = .php .html...but that also assumes cgi/fastcgi has already been added to the config, too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 12:51:02 PM by CentralWare »
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2024, 12:33:29 AM »
PHP is intentionally not allowed on the main server for security reasons. Same for all other kinds of server-side scripting. Our mirrors are static hosts as well, and they should have the same functionality.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2024, 11:04:58 AM »
@curaga: Non-PHP...  understood.  (That would just have been the "easy way" :) )  As for the mirrors, they would have hosted the cache files (90% of the bandwidth spent) but "functionality" would still have called home for server-side support.

How about we resurrect the packages idea, then?  I have to do some internal surgery on wiki/forum in the next couple weeks once testing on this end is complete and can lay the foundation for it while we're in there.  If you're okay with the idea, please update DNS and add/point tce.tinycorelinux.net to the same IP as wiki and forum.  (Once complete, we can bring "packages.tinycorelinux.net" into the fold.)

We'll also need to create a cron job (later) to build a couple files (per version/platform) which TCE can efficiently download to help run the show.

Take care!
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2024, 12:20:09 AM »
Someone already made one on github?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2024, 03:37:13 AM »
Save for the one that was used back on TinyCore 9.x I had no idea.  Okay, if there's already a working model, no sense reinventing the wheel! :)

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2024, 12:40:50 AM »
Save for the one that was used back on TinyCore 9.x I had no idea.  Okay, if there's already a working model, no sense reinventing the wheel! :)

presumably there is a url / link to this ...

Offline Dies Irae

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2024, 06:47:05 AM »
Hi CentralWare
... (testing on 9.x due to the "unique" index that causes even wget not to be able to get a directory listing for /tcz) ...
There's a simple way around that:
Code: [Select]
http://tinycorelinux.net/9.x/x86/tcz/info.lstThat works on all of the repos. I use that anytime I want to look
at a 9.x repo with my web browser.

To bad these info.lst files are not simply created automatically with a computer like `ls -1 *.tcz > info.lst.new; mv info.lst.new info.lst;`  (or similar, accounting for whatever is the exact specified sorting order).
Because if they were, then some computer must have had a darn lousy day when it added wxgtk-dev.tcz.dep to http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/5.x/armv6/tcz/info.lst

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2024, 07:16:25 AM »
Hi Dies Irae
It seems a misnamed info file (wxgtk-dev.tcz.dep.info) confused
one of the scripts used for updating the repo. The issue has been
corrected and the repo updated.

Thank you for reporting this.