WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Setting up wifi on piCore 14.1.  (Read 1467 times)

Offline meo

Setting up wifi on piCore 14.1.
« on: February 26, 2024, 11:54:44 AM »
Hi!

Thought I'd try out the last cut of piCore but I can't get the wifi to work. I usually have my Raspberry Pi 5 in a room with only wifi so I need to get it working. I've searched the forum but haven't found anything that would help me so I have to ask for some help of the good community of TC in all it's versions. So if someone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

// meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline gadget42

Re: Setting up wifi on piCore 14.1.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 05:43:19 AM »
perhaps there might be some value and insights from these accounts regarding the raspberry pi:
https://rachelbythebay.com/w/2023/11/06/wpa3/
https://rachelbythebay.com/w/2023/11/07/wpa3/
https://rachelbythebay.com/w/2024/01/24/wpa3/
https://rachelbythebay.com/w/2024/01/24/fail/

20240227-0447am-cst-usa-modified-added screenshot "hey, we both have 648 posts here...lol"
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 05:47:04 AM by gadget42 »
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline meo

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 07:25:50 AM »
Thanks for your reply gadget42 but I don't have wpa3 encryption! I have wifi working on several other OS's for Raspberry Pi 5. Naturally including the Raspberry Pi OS. Have been experimenting with Raspberry Pi for about 10 years or so. Have several Raspberry Pi's but usually I just use RPi 5 and a couple of RPi 4's with 8 GB of memory. All running well connected to the wifi but I can't get it to work with TC. Out of curiosity I found an sd card with TC 8 I think it was in one of my old laptops that died gracefully when the battery ran out some years ago. I'm tweaking with the resurrected "Father" of TC namely DSL again but in another shape though. So have fun with TC! Maybe I'll get the wifi going on the last cut for the Raspberry Pi.

// meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 09:33:21 AM »
Hi meo
To summarize, so far you've told us:
You're trying the last cut of piCore.
It doesn't work.
It's with a Raspberry Pi 5.
You need it to work.
You've searched the forum.
You want help.
It works with other OS's.
You've been running Pi's for 10 years.

I suspect you may need to provide additional information
in order for someone to help you:
What was the name of the file that you downloaded and installed?
Brief outline of what steps you took to install the software.
Is the OS running?
If you connect a keyboard/monitor, do you have a working console?
What steps did you take to try to get wifi running?
Were there any error messages?
Does  dmesg  show your wireless hardware being detected?
Does  dmesg  list missing firmware or driver errors?

Offline meo

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 12:49:35 PM »
Hi Rich!

Sorry that I was a little sparse with clear information. I'm running piCore 14.1 on a Raspberry Pi 5 that I've temporarily connected to and ethernet cable to be able to download files to populate the OS and hopefully make the wifi working. It' running well but I can't get the wifi to work. Have downloaded drivers and wifi.tcz. Running the latter nothing appears in the window where, if I recall right, the possible connections would appear and you only choose the right one (I think the connections were numbered from which to choose) and type the password and make a backup of the file containing the wifi information. Hope I haven't missed anything. So if you could point me in the right direction that would be very appreciated.

// meo

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 05:10:15 PM »
You need firmware-rpi-wifi.tcz as well.

Offline meo

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 04:06:50 AM »
Thanks guys!

Now it works! Paul_123 nailed the last piece of the puzzle. The package firmware-rpi-wifi.tcz was what was missing. Thanks a lot guys! Now I can give this cut of piCore a thourugh try.

// meo