WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: InstantCore  (Read 3458 times)

Offline CNK

Re: InstantCore
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2023, 10:20:31 PM »
How am I to accommodate? Offical ISOs can be downloaded form http://tinycorelinux.net/downloads.html, aren't they?

I mean accomodate CD users with your InstantCore release by using (dd-able) ISOs for them.

Or actually you originally asked:

Why, damn, OSes in general and TinyCore especially are not distributed in the form of really alive filesystems?

So I thought you were asking why Tiny Core shouldn't use disk images instead of ISOs for the official releases too.

Either way, I've said all I care to say about that now.

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2023, 10:53:48 PM »
Hi CNK!

InstantCore is not a kind of my release, it is compilation of official CorePlus-14.0 and TinyCorePure64-14.0 - talking about the content of the present InstantCore.img. My contributions are grub.cfg (3 kB) and inflate.sh (1 kB). The cornerstone is grub2 incorporated into the drive image according to an excellent Juanito's dual boot BIOS/UEFI HOWTO: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,19364.0.html.

So I propose to use "InstantCore" term for any image of the live drive with grub2 installed in the dual boot mode accordingly to the above mentioned HOWTO. In my case I used the grub.cfg I use by myself, as reliable and convenient, and applied it to the official ISOs content. One can change the grub.cfg and content to his/her taste and get the same-featured InstantCore image, which can be written into any USB flash drive or local drive and instantly obtain full-functional TinyCore system.

I mean accomodate CD users with your InstantCore release by using (dd-able) ISOs for them.

So I thought you were asking why Tiny Core shouldn't use disk images instead of ISOs for the official releases too.

CD users shouldn't pay attention to the InstantCore approach. They can download official ISOs and be sure they've missed nothing.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 10:57:56 PM by jazzbiker »

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2023, 02:29:15 PM »
Warning for new users!

Current InstantCore.img is based on the official CorePlus-14.0-iso and TinyCorePure64-14.0.iso.
Some important updates were applied recently to some extensions in the repos. The current 14.x repo structure is not fully consistent and in case You will download some extensions (i.e. mc.tcz) You need to perform certain sequence of maintenance commands:
Code: [Select]
tce-audit builddb
tce-audit updatedeps
tce-audit fetchmissing
tce-update
before installing them.

But! The last "tce-update" command demands too much free disk space, than it is accessible inside the original InstantCore.img and may be performed only after Your system will gain the access to the full USB drive room, which can be done choosing "base+resize" boot menu option and then running:
inflate.sh
sudo reboot

So if You will (undoubtedly) want to load new extensions, the please:
1. Boot into "base+resize"
2. inflate.sh
3.sudo reboot
4. After downloading (and before installing!) of any extensions please run
tce-audit builddb
tce-audit updatedeps
tce-audit fetchmissing
tce-update
5. Reboot

Sorry for inconveniences, will hope that in the new year and new TC versions things will become less complicated.

Congrats with upcoming holiday!

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2023, 04:18:33 PM »
Unfortunately even proposed maintenance sequence is not able to resolve all inconsistencies between extensions present in CorePlus-14.0.iso and the current repo state.

Sorry, in its present state InstantCore.img must not be recommended for new users, due to incompatibilities with repo state.

Offline gadget42

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2024, 08:26:54 AM »
@newbieCore: I'm glad to hear you've made it into the MMC (turning off CSM) - three entire pages of forum comments since my last visit :)

@newbieCore, You may try writing an image from http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,26658.0.html this thread to /dev/mmcblk0 with the help of dd utility:
sudo dd if=InstantCore.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4M
It contains ready to use dual boot BIOS/UEFI filesystems with CorePlus14 and TinyCorePure64. If the case is UEFI, it may help. Just to try with low expectations.

@jazzbiker: Please refrain from up-selling third party custom releases of Tiny Core Linux on the Tiny Core Linux forum (such as your "Instant Core" as you've named it); this forum is focused on the content found strictly within repo.tinycorelinux.net; when you create your own custom "version" of TinyCore and make changes to how our packages install and/or operate, it makes it difficult, if not impossible for us to "support" end users as this now falls on your lap - and preferably your website and domain.  Please understand, also, that we have no way to babysit every package that has ever been created by users; thus we have no way to ascertain whether or not "Instant Core" is properly functional, or whether it's infested with errors, virus' or trojans, etc.  (Not saying you would -- but we have no way to prove that to users like @newbieCore and we cannot be held liable for malicious damages.)

@Rich, @curaga, @Paul_123: Need your $0.02 here.

might be nice to have a copy of that here as well...
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580