WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Hello, New to TinyCore Linux (BOOT OPTION Won't Show Up in BIOS!!!)  (Read 615 times)

Offline Linux

Hello tc buddies, I'm switching from LinuxMint to Core Plus, have d downloaded .iso to do so, but some strange reason inside BIOS, the booting option for TinyCore never shows up?

I have tried so far: Disabled the Secure Boot. Switched the SATA config to ACHP something from default Intel something.

It worked last time for Linux mint and worker completely well under 10 minutes or less (using RUFUS.)

-But this time, it isnt working, I gave it an entire night trying on it with multiple ways. What do you think is fault? Hoping for a response from expert on tinycore :)

Offline gadget42

Re: Hello, New to TinyCore Linux (BOOT OPTION Won't Show Up in BIOS!!!)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 01:53:27 AM »
make/model/version of computer
version of TCL
confirm checksum of iso
confirm writing iso to usb media
if possible, confirm TCL media successfully works on one or more other computers
that should help for starters
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline Yarpi

Re: Hello, New to TinyCore Linux (BOOT OPTION Won't Show Up in BIOS!!!)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 11:16:12 AM »
Hello,

I'm not an expert but I was able to boot both tinycore and CorePlus usign ventoy. In my HP computer laptop the usb ports connected on the motherboard are not working for boot (but they work when the OS is booted) instead the one (usb port) near the CD reader works fine to boot any OS I want.

In my opinion these are the possible solutions:
  • Be sure that you pendrive is working
  • Use dd to write the iso onto the USB drive (and test if works on another PC) For example:
Code: [Select]
dd if=path/to/tinyCore.iso of=/deb/sdb bs=512
  • (dev/sdb is an example use fdisk -l to see where is the pendrive)
  • Check again that the bios is able to boot from the USB (sometimes there are options like USB-FDD or USB-CD or USB-HDD to activate)
  • Make sure UEFI is disabled I read somewhere you need BIOS Legacy mode to boot tinycore because it doesn't support UEFI.
  • Try to start the boot menu, many bioses have it, you can access it pressing key like F9 or F10 and see if you can see the pendrive from there.
  • Change USB port where you insert the pendrive

Let us know if something works.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 11:18:30 AM by Yarpi »