WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Request: ZFS + tools  (Read 2365 times)

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
Re: Request: ZFS + tools
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2023, 12:52:05 PM »
FreeNAS is BSD, aka BSD licensed. There is no conflict between BSD and CDDL.

FreeNAS WAS BSD.
FreeNAS = TrueNAS
TrueNAS CORE is still mostly Berkley from what I've read (though I see the words Linux Hybrid from time to time) I have not yet personally looked deeper.
TrueNAS SCALE = Debian = Linux = Linus = GPL2 as of October 2020, public release being around February 2022 and still ships with zfs.ko and the likes.
TrueNAS ENTERPRISE...  can't say, I'm not a paying participant for hardware I can get much cheaper elsewhere.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline patrikg

• Wiki Author
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2023, 12:43:46 AM »
Sorry to intrude
I have to add some more spices to curry.
i slap in the block size.

You can now order two diffrent "blocksizes" 512 and the new one 4096, to gain some more performance.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 12:47:30 AM by patrikg »

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2023, 04:06:19 AM »
@patrikg: You're never an intrusion! :)
Thanks for the update; I'll add it to my documentation.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2023, 04:25:33 PM »
Interesting claim from a forum Admin at TrueNAS regarding the Oracle/Linux Licensing conflict and how they can distribute Linux + ZFS together without a care:
Given that there have been exactly zero legal moves of any kind, and given the lack of a consistent legal theory, and given Oracle's otherwise non-existent hesitance to use legal action, it is abundantly clear that licensing concerns are merely a façade for Not Invented Here syndrome.
( Mild flaming war ensued, then of course, the posts were "accidentally deleted!" :) I still have the email copies, though! )
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 04:32:50 PM by CentralWare »

Offline hiro

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2023, 02:46:35 AM »
CON: ZRAID "costs" about 10-15% more, from what I've seen, than normal RAID5/6 in terms of parity.  This may be adjustable -- I'm still a bit new to it from the "inside."

there's raidz2, raidz3, etc. that's adjustable parity, yes.

draid also looks very fancy, i'm still not sure what to make of it, one possible summary is it's a kind of generalized raidz that has a kind of dynamic parity when you have spare spares.

Offline hiro

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2023, 02:48:46 AM »
( Mild flaming war ensued, then of course, the posts were "accidentally deleted!" :) I still have the email copies, though! )

good material for a modern opera play i suppose.

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2023, 01:40:25 AM »
openzfs.tcz ~8KB plus info/list/etc (the "Builder" script build_zfs)  Run as non-root.
Completely self-contained (retrieves anything it may need online) with no need for AI -- just a pinch of common sense!

Assumes knowledge of ZFS and ZFS related tools (see .info and builder script for details)

Once it builds the binary TCZs, the resulting zfs.tcz comes in at around 53MB with docs and dev separated.
Docs claim some level of dependency on KSH; nothing I've run thus far has shown that necessity.
Kernel sources are required; if you already have 'em compiled, there's a 45+ minute savings! :)

Tested under v14.x x86_64 only (for the time being) but will be expanded for x86 and piCore/aarch as time permits.
Suggestions and tweaks welcome!