WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Using tce-download with a custom linux distribution built from scratch  (Read 1121 times)

Offline cmk

Hello everyone, it's been a while since my last visit to the forum.
Recently I've accomplished a simple project - a busybox based
linux distribution with glibc, networking and wifi (that works only on my hardware but can be extended).
I've been documenting my steps within the YouTube tutorial series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVTw4YqPdKA&list=PLLfIBXQeu3aZuc_0xTE2dY3juntHF5xJY
and eventually came up with a single build script:
https://github.com/maksimKorzh/msmd-linux
During the work I've realized that many shared libraries like libpthread or libz are part of the tiny core base
(which is strange because why not to put everything apart glibc as the dependencies for a package?)
and reused them in my project along with sudo binary + config file and some config files required for tce-load to work.
I should probably mention that in the readme file, please kindly let me know the preferred format if that is essential.
The rest is my original work which includes:
 - building and configuring linux kernel (I know TC config is available but I didn't use it)
 - same for glibc
 - same for busybox
 - custom init script
 - custom networking and wifi scripts
Hopefully this would be interesting for somebody.
I'd be happy to get any feedback!

Offline nick65go

Re: Using tce-download with a custom linux distribution built from scratch
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 04:45:10 AM »
IMHO, it does not matter much if some SMALL libraries are (or not) in the base, or in a separate package. maybe a little for booting time. Or for small servers.
Because as soon as you need more apps, or a more complex app, then that app demands a bunch of libs dependencies. So, in the end, you end up with libs loaded in RAM sooner than you expected.
FYI: try loading dillo, or gnumeric, or abiword,  a flax-pdf, etc. YMMV