WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Is there a PDF reader in the piCore extentions?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline meo

Is there a PDF reader in the piCore extentions?
« on: August 29, 2023, 05:42:14 AM »
I found gpdf that I assumed was a PDF reader but it doesn't load from ondemand. I tried to run it as a command too but got the response "not found". The reason that I use piCore is that I want a simple and stable OS without a lot of clutter. But a nice PDF reader would be good since this is kind of my info searcher OS so to speak. Thanks beforehand! // meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Is there a PDF reader in the piCore extentions?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 06:15:19 AM »
Hi meo
QPDF is not what you think it is. Its description states:
QPDF is a command-line tool and C++ library that performs content-preserving transformations on PDF files. It supports linearization, encryption, and numerous other features. It can also be used for splitting and merging files, creating PDF files (but you have to supply all the content yourself), and inspecting files for study or analysis. QPDF does not render PDFs or perform text extraction, and it does not contain higher-level interfaces for working with page contents. It is a low-level tool for working with the structure of PDF files and can be a valuable tool for anyone who wants to do programmatic or command-line-based manipulation of PDF files.
Found here:
https://github.com/qpdf/qpdf

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 06:25:29 AM »
You can use firefox...

We need somebody to compile @curaga's fltk pdf reader...

Offline meo

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 07:07:04 AM »
Thanks guys for helping me out and putting me straight. You're the best!!! // meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline meo

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 09:43:48 AM »
Thanks Juanito! I've been reading a lot from a PDF magazine today in Firefox. Works very smooth and perfect. // meo

aus9

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 04:30:57 PM »
Hi
We need somebody to compile @curaga's fltk pdf reader...

EDIT
try ghostscript. The info file is too long. I will improve the info file once I get around to updating some packages.

In the interim members who do not use firefox (or some other web browser with pdf function)  can try this
Code: [Select]
gs sample.pdf
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 04:45:40 PM by aus9 »

Offline meo

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 03:51:07 AM »
Seems like a good idea but since I'm still using firefox anyway I don't want to load another program. Right now my piCore installation (thanks to a lot of help) has made my RPi  a mean lean info searching machine. // meo

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 01:08:45 AM »
Seems like a good idea but since I'm still using firefox anyway I don't want to load another program.

It's just as well - flaxpdf will not compile against recent versions of poppler..

aus9

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2023, 11:12:01 PM »
Hi Juanito,
As Meo has correctly decided she already has firefox so use it for read pdf......this is for your info only

I saw your make error on arm8 for flaxpdf and I got a make error (on arm7)  similar to arch error just below yours.
I then looked at a few readers and had never heard of apvlv so built it crudely with some new deps and it looks ok
The name in the image of my sample.pdf might mislead....that name is not available for Linux
https://imgur.com/ReCmBwH

The trouble is the size due to a dep of webkitgtk4. I managed to get libpoppler23 to be its dep but webkitgtk4 is a bit of a monster....Checking Apps total for ghostscript vs webkitgtk4.....I am reluctant to build it properly and submit.  Its way too big even for me.

trivia
#####

There is an error in the screenshot with apvlv. The left pane I think is supposed to show page 1 and page 2 etc but webkitgtk4 has a dep of libpoppler and I am not sure if I have built it correct enough for pages to show there.
Another reason not to submit

aus9

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2023, 12:57:50 AM »
In case anyone is looking for a smaller pdf viewer, I have built epdfview which is a GTK2 viewer.
Early testing is that it works as a viewer......and it has locale files tool
But....the actual window decorations is not showing a minimise or close button etc
2) It complains it can not find a $HOME config file called main.conf but no such file exists in the source package.
and worse of all on JWM.....I can not "grab" it and move it, the titlebar looks more like a vesa type titlebar is that makes sense. So it overlaps anything you have open on workspace 1 top left hand corner

I might still submit but now on the hunt for at least a main.conf.
It has GUI with limited preferences and as I said....it works as a viewer.

thanks for reading.

trivia

I can grab the left edge and reduce the size of moving left wall to the right
Then grab the right edge and make it viewer bigger.
I can not grab the top to try the same trick to move the whole thing down and to the right

aus9

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2023, 01:56:53 AM »
Wow, it can open encrypted PDFs