WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Macbook local and Intel Hiss  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Cockadoodledoo

Macbook local and Intel Hiss
« on: August 08, 2009, 02:28:20 PM »
Hello all,

I'm trying Tinycore, as Ubuntu seems far to heavy to start learning linux on. I'd like to install it on my hard disk and in the process get ride of Ubuntu. I have rEFIt running instead of Grub. If someone could point me in the right direction. I don't think Grub can work on a macbook.

also is there a way to make to have Tiny Core run through both cores of the intel duo core simultaneously, (or some program to keep the second core busy), when the second core is idle it makes the most horrible hissing sound. Loosing the hiss is the most important right now.

Thanks in Advance  :)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Macbook local and Intel Hiss
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 02:00:27 AM »
Apparently rEFIt shows bootable partitions, from a quick glance over its documentation.
Also, TC doesn't currently support EFI, so you need to use Boot Camp, enable BIOS/MBR emulation, and install TC normally to the resulting partition (including a "normal" bootloader such as lilo or grub, rEFIt will chainload it). After that, TC should be visible in the rEFIt menu.

One can control the cpu/core where to run applications, but the required program is not yet included. The syntax would go

taskset 1 mplayer
taskset 2 firefox

for launching mplayer on core 1 and firefox on core 2.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
Re: Macbook local and Intel Hiss
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 11:13:04 AM »