Tiny Core Base > Corepure64

youtube downloader discussion

(1/6) > >>

aus9:
Hi

recently I looked at youtube-dl and altho it has update compared to our version in Apps, its still old at 17 Dec 2021.
also my skills in python are not great.
AND the web says its often throttled

However I just tested yt-dlp from my $HOME/.local/bin and its a beauty.

Also gadget42 mentions it http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25474.msg163402.html#msg163402

It has a similar NO licence to youtube-dl so I think I will package it.

But is there something better?

2) if its a video download  result is a webm....visuals appear for me in vlc but only plays in qmplay2. Only tested 2 players sorry
if I use -x to download audio only....result is opus and plays well in both players YMMV

3) you can download it and load python3(something) ...stick it in $HOME/.local/bin and run it like this

--- Code: ---cd Downloads
python3  yt-dlp https://youtu.be/fS4Jd9nhj7U
--- End code ---

or put -x between yt-dlp and url to download the audio only

YMMV

vinceASPECT:
Sir,

There could well be other Linux based apps as clients for youtube
and as clients for youtube downloading.

.......i did detail a simple way to do "youtube downloading and youtube searching" via a simple TEXT only web browser........ such as the "Links" web browser.....

Once found, you can then play the resulting  youtube movie or download it or  download it's audio...... you can then play it  using the free "FFPLAY" media player which is inside FFMPEG on Linux.

so.........

(a)
For doing an identical YOUTUBE search as happens on the YT native web site
you can go here ....
"www.tonvid.com" and search for any movie
 using  a "text only" web browser and a movie keyword

(b)
You can then COPY THE LINK of the video of choice from your searching in (a)
and paste it into this site...
www.genyt.net
and click search.
Click the resulting FOUND video.
Then click "generate download links"

(c)  RIGHT CLICK any download link that interests you from (b)
and go "SAVE or DOWNLOAD the movie file." giving it a name.

Should you just want to  DIRECTLY STREAM & WATCH the movie link from (b) in "FFPLAY" media player then.....

1) RIGHT CLICK the download link of (b) and go "DISPLAY"
and then....
2) Go to the menu of the "text only" web browser under BOOKMARKS
click  "ADD THE CURRENT PAGE" as a bookmark
3) Then Open the Tinycore text editior tool and under HOME
directory you should eventually  see the "LINKS" folder if you clicked "SHOW HIDDEN FILES"
4) click the LINKS FOLDER and you should see the "bookmarks" file.
5) Open that "bookmarks" file in the text editor and you will see your movie URL LINK ADDRESS of your interest ......
6) Copy that URL link using highlight and copy..... then MIDDLE CLICK to paste
the URL into an FFPLAY media player terminal........and then PLAY the movie

thanks
C

ps.........below is the FFPLAY media player command i would use to play stuff...

(at the terminal prompt)........
ffplay -fast -framedrop -cpuflags -sse+sse2+sse3+sse4.1+sse4.2+mmx+avx -threads auto -x 195 -y 158 -hide_banner -sync audio "the movie link.mp4"
(if it's just audio you are playing add the "-vn" and "-nodisp" flags

.....Also, your CPU flags may vary as it depends on your CPU type.....for example, a Raspberry Pi arm CPU may be

ffplay -fast -framedrop -cpuflags -armv6+something+somethin etc............bla bla bla

thx
C

patrikg:
I think you can use youtube-dl and update it with just like this.
It will update it self.

--- Code: (bash) ---youtube-dl -U

-U, --update      Update this program to latest version. Make sure that you have sufficient permissions (run with sudo if needed)
--- End code ---

CNK:
The last youtube-dl release broke with YouTube a while ago, but has been fixed in the development version. I just unziped the release file and applied the fix manually (as described in a GitHub issue thread) because it's just one line. There are also "nightly" type "build" of the executable zip file available.

The video format options for a video URL are shown with the "-F" option, then specified when downloading with "-f [format ID]". For YouTube I always use "-f 18" and get usable video+audio at a relolution that's good enough for me.

aus9:
hi

--- Quote ---The last youtube-dl release broke with YouTube a while ago
--- End quote ---
that would explain a bit eh?

--- Quote ---I think you can use youtube-dl  and update it
--- End quote ---
Yes I know this but my question was is there something better

Hi  vinceASPECT
I can search YT using qmplay2, and I am ex MS so prefer GUI over text browsers.

To anyone,
--- Code: ---yt-dlp -h
--- End code ---
as a swag of options so I will wait a few more days for a better alternative and if there is nothing faster, easier etc to use....I think I will go with this, so anyone who wants to maintain youtube-dl be my guest.

thanks for reading

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version