Tiny Core Base > Corepure64

Getting kernel files ready for nvidia proprietary drivers installer

(1/4) > >>

CardealRusso:
Hello, everyone. Since the nouveau driver works but is not enough, I decided to try installing the nvidia proprietary driver.
I am currently being filtered by the TinyCore kernel. As I don't have much experience with Linus or TinyCore, I ask for help.

Here is my failed attempt:

I downloaded all equivalent packages present here and the kernel source

I tried to follow the steps mentioned by Juanito

--- Quote from: Juanito on April 19, 2021, 01:04:35 AM ---No, you don't need linux-kernel-sources-env to compile kernel modules - it was a way of making things easier, but no longer works due to changes in linux-5.x

This will prepare the kernel source:

--- Code: ---$ cd linux-5.10.3
$ make mrproper
$ cp ../config-5.10.3-tinycore64 .config
$ make oldconfig
$ make prepare
$ make modules_prepare
--- End code ---

--- End quote ---

But i got a lot of errors
For 14.x x86_64

Juanito:
You can use the compiletc meta extension to download/load all that is commonly required to compile on tinycore.

To prepare the CorePure64-14.x kernel source:
--- Code: ---tce-load -i compiletc perl5 elfutils-dev ncursesw-dev bc
wget http://tinycorelinux.net/14.x/x86_64/release/src/kernel/linux-6.1.2-patched.txz
tar xf linux-6.1.2-patched.txz
wget http://tinycorelinux.net/14.x/x86_64/release/src/kernel/config-6.1.2-tinycore64
cd linux-6.1.2
make mrproper
cp ../config-6.1.2-tinycore64 .config
make oldconfig
make prepare
make modules_prepare
--- End code ---

CardealRusso:

--- Quote from: Juanito on May 01, 2023, 11:03:17 AM ---You can use the compiletc meta extension to download/load all that is commonly required to compile on tinycore.

--- End quote ---

Hello and thank you, juanito.

I followed all the steps you suggested and was successful. Everything worked.

I just needed to drop multiple copies of the file Module.symvers-6.1.2-tinycore64.gz for the installer to work.

Unfortunately it wasn't enough. The nvidia driver, despite supposedly having compiled successfully, it fails to install.

It's very frustrating that the 410 driver (the last one available in the TCL repository, thanks to coreplayer2) was released just a few months, maybe even days, before my video card became compatible.

Command used

--- Code: ---sudo /mnt/sdc1/downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-525.116.03.run --no-x-check --no-cc-version-check --kernel-source-path /home/tc/Downloads/linux-6.1.2/
--- End code ---

log

--- Code: ---ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.  This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if another driver, such as nouveau, is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA device(s), or no NVIDIA device installed in this system is supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.
--- End code ---

I've tried everything, including several different versions of the installer. nothing works, google results are not very informative and the error itself is very generic and uninformative.

CardealRusso:
I also tried this new nvidia open source driver, which is supposedly much easier to install. however, this also generates uninformative errors

https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-kernel-modules

Rich:
Hi CardealRusso
Based on the error message:

--- Quote from: CardealRusso on May 01, 2023, 02:58:06 PM --- ... log

--- Code: ---ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.  This happens most frequently when
--- End code ---

--- End quote ---
That part of the message makes it sound like  nvidia.ko  got built.

--- Quote ---
--- Code: ---this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources
--- End code ---

--- End quote ---
That seems unlikely. Juanito gave you instructions for TC14.x x86_64.

--- Quote ---
--- Code: ---with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel
--- End code ---

--- End quote ---
I don't think that's it.

--- Quote ---
--- Code: ---or if another driver, such as nouveau, is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA device(s)
--- End code ---

--- End quote ---
This sounds like a possibility. Was Xorg running when you ran this?
Were any of the following drivers loaded:
nv_drv.so, nouveau_drv.so, nouveau.ko.gz

--- Quote ---
--- Code: ---or no NVIDIA device installed in this system is supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.
--- End code ---

--- End quote ---
According to the nVidia website, your board is supported by this driver.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version