Author Topic: NTFS-filesystem  (Read 3041 times)

Offline meo

NTFS-filesystem
« on: August 07, 2009, 06:42:12 AM »
Hi!

My question is simple: Does tinycore support NTFS-filesystem? Or, rather, would tinycore discover a tce-directory placed on a NTFS-based harddrive? And would it be able to write to it? Well, that became some questions instead of one but although fairly simple to understand. An answer would be most appreciated.

Have fun with tinycore,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: NTFS-filesystem
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 08:40:30 AM »
If you load the filesystems-2.6.29.1-tinycore extension, you can mount an ntfs file system.

I'm not sure that having this in your /tce folder would allow an ntfs hd to be detected on boot - you'd have to try it and see.

To write to an ntfs hd, you'd need the ntfs-3g extension.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 11:31:55 AM »
catch-22 - if the extension to read ntfs is on ntfs itself, you can't load it to load it :P

A solution would be a remaster with NTFS support, while the rest of the extensions could be on the ntfs hd.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline meo

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 01:57:56 AM »
Hi again!

Thanks for your posts, Juanito and curaga. It seems that I have to give my remastering skills a try again. I haven't found reasons for that before. Problems could be solved another way. But then I have to get up to speed how to remaster tinycore which I haven't done yet. Lets see how it works out. Thanks again for your posts!

Have fun guys,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 04:34:39 AM »
It's perhaps not remastering that you need, just recompiling the kernel.

If you start with the default tinycore .config, all that's needed is to enable ntfs as compiled in rather than as a module and then re-compile. You can substitute your new BzImage file for the existing tinycore original.

Offline meo

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 04:51:15 AM »
Hi Juanito!

Thanks a lot. That seems to be an easier way to go.

Have fun and thanks for helping us selflearned enthusiasts out,
meo

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 06:23:19 AM »
I guess it depends on the point of view, I would say remastering is easier than kernel compiling (not to mention a ton faster). On the other hand having a custom kernel would not require re-doing the remaster when new versions come out.

I hope this works out for you :)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.