General TC > General TC Talk

Data Recovery from bad SSD

(1/6) > >>

MTCAT:
Hello, I'm sorry it's been such a long time since my last visit here, has been a crazy year. I'm still working on my new receivers with VortexDX3 and 24DSI12 with TinyCore kernel 2.6.33.3, just need to incorporate the output of "digitemp" into the acquisition C code and modify as well to report GPS+Glonass+Galileo satellites and that should be it software wise! Thank you very much to Rich, Curaga, patrickg, and many others who have helped so much.

I did an experiment this past long weekend in the extreme heat with my old gear (650 MHz Celeron, Slackware Linux) and it seems that the base station SSD has become damaged (heat stressed ?).

I've attached the output of "fdisk -l" here done on both the rover receiver (which is currently working just fine), and for the base station receiver, which will not boot up at all, I get a bunch of "9A" characters echoed to screen when trying to boot up the base station off the main SSD. The base station and rover receivers were identical, the output of "fdisk -l" should be the same in both cases. Both receivers have 64 GByte SSD's which are reported as PATA on boot up on the rover receiver.

So I booted the base station receiver with one of my old TC sticks (3.8.4, kernel 2.6.33.3, no real time patch) and was able to get an "fdisk -l" output that way on the base station receiver, but I'm not able to mount the (apparently) damaged drive, which is now being reported as ~ 32 GBytes ? (supposed to be 64 GBytes).

There's some data on the base station receiver I would like to recover, but I don't know if this is even possible without being able to mount the drive ?

Thanks,

David

Rich:
Hi MTCAT
Do not mount or attempt to write to the disk. You want to try to copy the entire drive and
then work from the copy. This should provide a good starting point:
https://www.linux.com/topic/desktop/gnu-ddrescue-best-damaged-drive-rescue/

Its possible just the partition table got corrupted. Create an image copy of the drive:

--- Code: ---dd if=/dev/sdb of=base.img
--- End code ---
where  /dev/sdb  is the damaged drive. Google how to fix partition table and attempt
the fix on the file you created.

MTCAT:
Hi Rich,

Thanks a lot for the help!, and the link, I'll use dd to make an image of the drive, and then see if I can find any problems with the partition table.

Thanks again,

David

Rich:
Hi MTCAT
A couple of things. It looks like you used the busybox version of  fdisk  for  base.txt.
Install  util-linux-ng.tcz  and run  fdisk  on the corrupt drive again.

--- Code: ---tc@E310:~/part$ dd if=/dev/sdg of=base.img
962560+0 records in
962560+0 records out
492830720 bytes (493 MB, 470 MiB) copied, 47.0264 s, 10.5 MB/s
--- End code ---
The  dd  command defaults to copying  512  byte blocks so it will take some time to
create the image file. Do not attempt to speed it up by increasing the block size.
Once you've created the image file, you can copy it using the  cp  command to create
additional copies to experiment on.

If  dd  errors out on you, look into  ddrescue.

To use the image file, you need to assign a device to it. You will need  util-linux-ng.tcz
installed for this.

--- Code: ---tc@E310:~/part$ sudo losetup --show --find --partscan base.img
/dev/loop241
--- End code ---
The image file has been assigned to  /dev/loop241.  You can use that anywhere you
would use something like  /dev/sdb.

--- Code: ---tc@E310:~/part$ fdisk -l /dev/loop241
Disk /dev/loop241: 470 MiB, 492830720 bytes, 962560 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x2feba4f6

Device         Boot  Start    End Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/loop241p1        2048 206847  204800  100M 83 Linux
/dev/loop241p2      206848 309247  102400   50M 83 Linux
/dev/loop241p3      309248 923647  614400  300M 83 Linux
--- End code ---
And  /dev/loop241  has 3 partitions,  /dev/loop241p1, /dev/loop241p2, and /dev/loop241p3.

When you are done, free up the device:

--- Code: ---sudo losetup -d /dev/loop241
--- End code ---

curaga:
Just a warning, when SSDs fail, there's a high chance the data is not recoverable at all. That's unlike the old spinning rust, where a data recovery service can usually get most of it back for a fee.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version