WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: how to make software installation persistent in the Fourth Mode of Operation?  (Read 2298 times)

Offline trembb22

I install firefox and/or samba on a working TC on a usb stick using syslinux local=sda, I am trying to have software installation persistence, it didn't work, after rebooting TC, there is no firefox anymore. So the local=sda boot parameter do nothing. Help!
I dont want to put anything under tce because it's too long to have to reinstall the software at each boot. I want to install software one time and have it there after a reboot of TC. So I am trying to use the fourth mode of operation using syslinux boot loader.
thanks for your help
Benoit

Offline junan

local = sdaX , X for 1,2,3,...
i'm using local=hda2. persistant installation only works for PPI compatible extension. you can know it by check the file list , if all files under /usr/local/ then it's PPI compatible.
fun and fearless ...

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
If you are using a pendrive, you will also need the boot code of waitusb=5 to allow time for slow flash devices to register.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline trembb22

Here is my syslinux.cfg:
-------------
display boot.msg
default tinycore
label tinycore
        kernel /boot/bzImage
        append initrd=/boot/tinycore.gz quiet local=sda1

implicit 0
prompt 1
timeout 30
F1 boot.msg
F2 f2
F3 f3
---------------

so, firefox and samba isn't ppi compatible because it didn't work!
maybe I put local=sda1 at wrong place.
thanks for your help
Benoit

Offline trembb22

Well, I added waitusb=5 and installed samba TCZ than I installed firefox TCE and firefox was there after a reboot. I understand that samba is linked to a TCZ file, but firefox isn't linked to a tcz file, it is under /usr/local, maybe I needed to install one TCZ file to have /usr/local persistant.

is there a way to remove all TCZ link for samba I installed that way, I would like to reinstall it under /usr/local persistant

thanks for your help

Benoit