WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Firefox add-on lost after reboot - Solved  (Read 3345 times)

Offline BobTarragon

Firefox add-on lost after reboot - Solved
« on: July 30, 2009, 05:53:26 PM »
I've installed the Google Bookmark Button (Pau Tomas) which is compatible with Firefox 3.5.* so should be OK with our 3.5.1 TCE. It all works OK but after rebooting the button is not on the toolbar. In the Add-ons list it's still there but disabled because it is not compatible. I can then search for an update which interestingly is found and then it all works fine until the next reboot.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 07:34:03 AM by BobTarragon »

Offline BobTarragon

Re: Firefox add-on lost after reboot
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 07:06:46 PM »
A file modified when installing the add-on must go missing after the reboot... If I knew which file it is then it could be added to /opt/.filetool.lst. I keep looking on Firefox Support and Google but no luck so far.

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 10:52:18 PM »
One way to find the files installed by the plugin would be to use the find command.  Something like this at the command line

$ touch /tmp/mark

###  Install the plugin, then

$ find /usr/local/firefox-official -newer /tmp/mark

That should list the newly installed files if they installed to /usr/local/firefox-official.  If installed to ~/.mozilla then it naturally would be part of a normal backup.

Offline BobTarragon

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 04:57:04 AM »
Thanks Jason, but no changes occur in /usr/local/firefox-official after installing the add-on or reactivating it. The only changes are in /sys and /proc and of course in /home/tc/.mozilla (the latter one backed up).

Can others use add-ons in Firefox? I depend much on my Google Bookmarks.

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 08:06:39 AM »
I see now that the changes are in the ~/.mozilla directory.  I have that in my backup and I am using Google bookmarks across reboots with no problem.  I am using Shiretoko, but the same should apply to the official Firefox.

Offline BobTarragon

Re: Firefox add-on lost after reboot - Solved
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 07:33:37 AM »
SOLVED  :)  thanks Jason for the info.

Pau Tomas' original Google Bookmark add-on seems to be incompatible with Firefox 3.5.1.
I have installed GMarks which sticks now after reboot.

I was tricked to think there was a problem because in GMarks I made a setting which turned off the icon on the toolbar... in hindsight it all makes sense of course.