WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Voice recognition. Input. For regular Laptop browsers.  (Read 1215 times)

Offline vinceASPECT

Voice recognition. Input. For regular Laptop browsers.
« on: February 06, 2024, 12:37:14 PM »
Hello forum.

I've already checked this on searches of the web as to how many of the popular browsers do or do not do ........voice recognition into text.

To my dumbfoundment. It seems that most of the popular web browsers DO NOT have voice input recognition.......?

i Believe that every smartphone on earth actually operates everything  via  recognition..... Namely, 7 billion devices  have  it  as  standard..............
But no. .........Conventional laptops with web browsers don't do this........?  (only Chrome or  Edge)
How many people use laptops in 2024? There are 5 billion people worldwide who use the internet, of which, 67% use laptops to access it

Can anybody  even begin to  try  to explain that voice fact?......... Just for the fun of it,......... try  to   have a go  explaining it.

More to the point though......... Does anybody know a way to get voice recognition working in standard  nice laptop web browser  such as  Vivaldi....?

......... If you know please could you inform and share?

As for the forum members. I don't know if you've  actually  tried to use voice input yourself, but it actually works very well and is useful.

many  thx

C

Sorry forum &  respects, but  I have to joke about it.

How many car models do you know of....... without a steering wheel?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 12:55:45 PM by vinceASPECT »

Offline CentralWare

• Retired Admins
Re: Voice recognition. Input. For regular Laptop browsers.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 01:26:29 AM »
Good morning!

Search Google for a program called "Whisper" from OpenAI -- it's a good read based on your question.

Secondly, no "smart" phones comprehend a word of what you're saying.  Instead, what they do is record "X" number of seconds of audio and send that audio clip into an actual server (such as Google for Android phones) where it is then converted/translated/etc. and the text is then sent back to the phone.  This isn't a standard...  it's control, it's marketing (it's other things too, but we won't go there on the forum.)

Web browsers are content translators -- you tell them WHERE to go, they tell you what they found...  that's actually a nutshell of a browser, though it goes into much larger detail depending on what they found from the site you're visiting.  If you want Windows (for example) to discern what you just said, you have to install an app that does the same process as was described above for the phones...  your actual computer simply is nowhere near as powerful as would be needed to process THAT amount of data and also be even remotely responsive as a desktop.

How many models of cars...  never counted, but quite a few.
Without a steering wheel...  'had an old Jeep Cherokee that was rear-ended...  (long story)  It no longer had one after that day! :D

Offline CentralWare

• Retired Admins
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 01:36:05 AM »
Laptop?  No, unless I'm on the road and I just must use one.
They don't make a laptop with four 32" screens, 28 USB3 ports, both wired and wireless mouse/keyboard/keypad, 7.1 audio with 1,100 watts of neighbor competition and of course, we cannot forget the pretty LED lighting everyone's so fascinated with these days...  which laptops just really aren't meant to have since there's nowhere for tempered glass :)  ...and that's just the machine in the den; what we play with at the office requires ear plugs, air conditioning in the dead of winter and has potentially more cores in the server room than all of the apples in the little orchard down the street...

Yeah, for portability laptops were a great invention.
For true computing power and to avoid proprietary hardware...  they're not the answer.

Offline patrikg

• Wiki Author
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 02:20:22 AM »
And now we have the laptops in our hands, called smartphones.

Offline CentralWare

• Retired Admins
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 03:34:00 AM »
...that's close to the opposite of what I call mine...

:D

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 09:08:13 AM »
Hello there all,

Thanks for your replies and thoughts on that. I suppose you'll be right with a lot of experience.

I did a work around by simply using. A single browser window of the type which allows the  voice recognition and that's what this message is on.

So,  thanks. again

C

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 08:00:28 AM »
Hello forum.

I tried some common sense. On this. Thread topic.

........it is true to say that global users can actually  SEE. a physical keyboard on a laptop. .....yet they don't SEE any such keyboard on handhelds. And therefore handhelds default to another. Hierarchy of input........ such as voice.

Plus. It's an oral  voice Telephone. In the first instance.  smart  device.....

......some explanation

Thx
C