WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Is it possible to correct Xvesa screen resolutions for an XGA 1024x480 screen?  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Simon

Hi there

I’m running tinycore 1.4.3 because I haven’t been able to get tinycore 2.2 to boot on my Vaio PCG-C1F (see my other post).

After booting tinycore 1.4.3 from the hard disk, the desktop looks ‘fine’, but I ‘m not able to access the wbar at the bottom of the screen. My notebook has a 8.9" TFT Ultra Wide XGA 1024x480 screen and the wbar has ‘fallen off’ the bottom of the screen. By dragging the mouse cursor beyond the lower edge of the screen it is possible to estimate the position of the bar (‘virtually’)…. and random clicking, for example, opens the app browser, so there functionality is there! … but it’s obviously not usable in this configuration!

Is there any way of correcting this? I thought that I could edit the X configuration file manually, but wasn’t able to find it. Where is it located? I’ve also tried the xsetup.sh script but that doesn’t help at all. Briefly researching this problem on the Web indicated that Xvesa server might not be usable on this notebook… I’m not giving up just yet…

…any ideas? Suggestions and help would be very much appreciated.

Simon

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Is your resolution listed with "Xvesa -listmodes"? If it is, you can edit .xsession, replacing 1024x768 with your resolution.

If it isn't listed, you'll need to use the Xorg extension.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Simon

Thanks curaga

As you know I've only been able to boot TC 1.4.3. I presume that 2.x extensions can't be used with a 1.x installations?

I've found the 1.x tce/tcz extensions here on:ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/

In general, is it possible to download the extensions manually and store them in a temp folder on your hard disk and use the app browser to install them from there (rather than directly from on-line resource). I'd like to get my screen resolution sorted out before attempting to get my wireless card working!

@B

Simon
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 10:19:54 AM by Simon »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
In general, is it possible to download the extensions manually and store them in a temp folder on your hard disk and use the app browser to install them from there (rather than directly from on-line resource). I'd like to get my screen resolution sorted out before attempting to get my wireless card working!

Sure, you can use a browser or wget to download extensions and then use "load local" in the appbrowser or "tce-load" from a terminal window in install them.

Note that if you download extensions in this manner, you need to take a look at the .dep file to make sure you also load any dependency extensions.