WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Boot with both legacy and UEFI  (Read 13993 times)

Offline polikuo

Re: Boot with both legacy and UEFI
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2022, 07:04:01 PM »
Hi polikuo,
Sorry for the noobish 2 cents, but syslinux.tcz seems to be unchanged since TC7. Is it possible that rebuilding the extension will help?
Hi jazzbiker
I don't think so, because the actual firmware that boot your system is precompiled. (files in share)
Only the toolkit is compiled for tiny core. (files in bin, sbin)

Offline CNK

Re: Boot with both legacy and UEFI
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2022, 07:06:37 PM »
First, dosfstools.tcz is messing around.
(a corrupted partition can't get Syslinux running at all, returns to "BIOS menu")
Second, the kernel 13 simply can not boot with Syslinux UEFI, but kernel 12 can.

I'm booting TC13 x86_64 with Syslinux on a UEFI-only system (and I am sure that it's UEFI-only, though it doesn't need the boot drive to be GPT partitioned). It's installed on a dual legacy/UEFI MBR/GPT SD card following your tutorial. But that was done with TC11, since then I've only replaced the corepure64.gz and vmlinuz64 files and updated the extensions to upgrade to TC12 then TC13.

So it's not something wrong with the kernel that prevents booting, but perhaps something prevents the installation process from working when it's done from TC13?

I tried mkfs.vfat myself and it gives me the same errors/warnings, but still seems to format an SD card OK and I can write file, remount, and read them back. I haven't tested extensively though (the card was already FAT formatted before, though an old directory was erased by the formatting so it did do something).