WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: proposal: eee support package  (Read 2610 times)

Offline spillz

proposal: eee support package
« on: July 17, 2009, 12:07:43 PM »
out of the box, quite a few things are missing for eee pcs (this probably applies to laptops more generally):

1. hotkeys: should be able to use acpid to link hotkeys to useful actions (volume, wifi toggle, monitor toggle)

2. battery monitor with low power status notification -- not good to have laptop suddenly die. could also use conky for display.

3. wifi: wicd might be the answer here, but as it's gtk would be nice to have something lighter using the wireless/wpa_supplicant packages. don't need complete solutions just enough to get wifi working for most users.

4. cpu speed control: I've been using conky to display speed. also want shortcuts/hotkeys to handle switching

anyway, I'm proposing putting together a package/meta-package that pulls in a minimal set of dependencies to get these pieces working. I'm not averse to coding a few applets/notifications to be consistent with the stripped down tinycore environment.

Starting points:

1. Some eee users have put together scripts to handle eee idiosyncracies on ubuntu (for example, http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=65606&p=1) but we don't really want the python or gtk dependencies.

2/ not sure what's available in terms of applets/notifications in FLTK so need to look there.

any thoughts? good idea? bad idea?

Offline roberts

• Retired Admins
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: proposal: eee support package
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 03:09:40 PM »
Sounds good to me. Start by making a meta-extension, like compiletc.
Build up other parts as separate extensions as needed, e.g., hotkeys, camera, etc, and then update the meta-extension. This would then, as compiletc does, makes it much easier for new eee users to enjoy TC.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline mcnalu

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 03:45:29 PM »
Great idea!

I've got almost all hardware of my eee pc 1000h working great on slackware 12.1 with the 2.6.24 kernel, but almost all hardware is supported out-the-box with the slackware 13rc1 which uses the 2.6.29 kernel, same as tc2.

I'm a bit time-challenged but can certainly test and compare tc and slackware on my eee pc if that helps.

Offline spillz

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 03:57:35 PM »
I've got almost all hardware of my eee pc 1000h working great on slackware 12.1 with the 2.6.24 kernel, but almost all hardware is supported out-the-box with the slackware 13rc1 which uses the 2.6.29 kernel, same as tc2.

I'd be curious to see how they are mapping hot keys for the different models.

I'm a bit time-challenged but can certainly test and compare tc and slackware on my eee pc if that helps.

every bit helps ;)