WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: DPMS Powersave  (Read 2493 times)

Offline PDP-8

DPMS Powersave
« on: August 10, 2020, 08:22:19 PM »
A backwards problem:

CorePlus, and any subsequent installations from it, will properly put my hdmi monitor into a screen blank, and will actually go into powersave and put the monitor to sleep after about 10 minutes.  YAY!  Nice behaviour.

However, if I burn my own sticks using distribution files and that whole procedure, or even booting iso's, the monitor won't go into powersave.

Environment:  I'm running either xvesa for 32 bit, or xfbdev for 64 bit.  No Xorg.  I am not loading the graphics extension.

Observed:
When I run xset -q I get this:

Code: [Select]
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Display is not capable of DPMS

What is blowing my mind is that this notification occurs on my CorePlus (and subsequent builds from it) which DO go into powersave despite the notification.

My own builds from either distribution files or iso's also show it, but they do NOT go into powersave as I expected.

So the answer is somewhere in the difference between CorePlus, and my own builds, but have some homework to do.

Is it built into the kernel?  Am I missing a library that CorePlus includes but doesn't get included with other methods?

A fast-track hint would be appreciated while I dig out the notebooks and get down to work. :)

That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline PDP-8

Re: DPMS Powersave
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 04:00:05 AM »
Forget dpms - not relevant for my setup.

Side knowledge not truly related: learned that CorePlus has a consoleblank kernel parameter of 600 baked in, whereas iso's do not.  Simple matter of using consoleblank=0 (disable), or xxx in desired time for use in virtual terminals, or of course in core-only type of installs in your bootloader.  Blanking only, no powersave that I've ever seen.

This works in CorePlus for gui:
Code: [Select]
sleep 1; xset s activate
Monitor blanks, and goes into powersave.

But on my own builds of 64-bit kernels using the tc-install gui on CorePlus, that xset command puts the monitor to sleep, and it wakes up after a second.

Getting closer ...

Offline PDP-8

Re: DPMS Powersave
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 06:15:11 PM »
Can't figure out which library I need, so I just solved it for now by using a full Xorg on those systems which don't obey xset at first.