Tiny Core Base > piCore Test Releases

piCore-8.0beta4

(1/6) > >>

bmarkus:
Team Tiny Core is proud to announce immediate availability of the second beta release of the piCore-8.0 edition.

With this release kernel is frozen, it will be used in final version (except really serious issue found).

8.0beta4

- kernel updated to 4.4.15
- firmware updated to 20160715
- MicroPython updated to 1.8.2-19

8.0beta3

- kernel updated to 4.4.14
- firmware updated to 20160626
- MicroPython updated to 1.8.1-90
- added ZBUD=y to kernel config
- on-board audio enabled by default
- VC I2C disabled by default
- serial console works on RPi3, using /dev/ttyS0, all other boards /dev/ttyAMA0
- serial console terminal emulation change from VT100 to linux

8.0beta2

- kernel updated to 4.4.13
- e2fsprogs updated to 1.43.1
- MicroPython updated
- RPi firmware updated to 20160613

8.0beta1

- kernel 4.4.11
- glibc 2.23
- BusyBox 1.24.2
- util-linux 2.28
- e2fsprogs 1.43
- MicroPython 1.8
- Perl 5.24
- GCC 6.1

TC scripts also updated to latest common base. Except ncurses which doesn't build properly all packages in the repo updated and rebuilt using the new toolchain, not just copied over from 6.x/7.x repos. Dependencies revised, may be different to previous versions. It means limited number of packages in the repo, e.g. Xorg and graphical stuff are missing.

Only one SD card image available, it works on all RPi boards. Download location:

http://tinycorelinux.net/8.x/armv6/test_releases/

Please try it and share your experience, bugs found, etc.

Paul_123:
Couple of systems upgraded PI3, B.   No issues so far.

bmarkus:

--- Quote from: Paul_123 on July 23, 2016, 08:25:11 PM ---Couple of systems upgraded PI3, B.   No issues so far.

--- End quote ---

Thanks!

mbivol10:
Still no GUI available ...
I have few questions and I'm sorry I don't understand much even after reading the book for TinyCore.
My Raspberry Pi is 3B.
But I think that is armv7 yet the test versions being built are under armv6. To me its a huge deal to just know if builts for armv7 are not built because they are the same as armv6 or not? If they are not the same in source code... then whats the difference?

Other question is when I download and then of course make space for the second partition, as ext4 why is this second partition needed? would it not be better to just extend the fat partition instead? Also I know that the fat partition is loaded into ram and then no changes can be made unless you tell it not to load into ram or you mount it and then make changes. How can I make it not load into ram? is it a boot code ? or what should I do? I couldn't figure it out after reading the book.

bmarkus:
Test versions work on ALL RPi boards. It is stated in release announcement. Read it!

FAT partition is not loaded to RAM.

Do not use the FAT partition (/dev/mmcblk0p1) other than boot. Keep as it is except customizing command line and config. It is not Linux-friendly and not a journaling file system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version