WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Frugal install on dual boot machine - cannot boot at all now  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Nexus

Frugal install on dual boot machine - cannot boot at all now
« on: March 20, 2016, 04:50:18 PM »
Hi all,
I am refurbishing a very old Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook. I have decided to have a dualboot machine, with the original Windows 2000 on one partition and Linux on the other. The Linux partition is currently Puppy Slacko 6.3.0 but I'm not happy with it due to intractable video driver issues. Anyway, I tried making a Core Plus frugal install sharing what I assume to be the Linux partition.

I followed the instructions in the book, SDA disk for Core, boot loader unchecked because there is already a Linux, and ext 4 formatting. Boot codes left as they were, and only the non-US keyboard layout extensions checked. The installation proceeded apparently successfuly, so I rebooted. Now the little menu asking me to choose an OS to boot is gone completely, just a blinking cursor in the top left corner of the screen. Booting from the Core Plus CD still works.

How do I repair this damage?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 04:58:00 PM by Nexus »

Offline mocore

• ~.~
Re: Frugal install on dual boot machine - cannot boot at all now
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 05:50:04 PM »

0) backup  :-\

Offline Nexus

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 05:58:04 PM »
Pardon?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 06:00:51 AM »
If you chose sda, that means the whole disk, and your previous contents are lost. Do you have backups like mocore said?

If not, you can do a fresh Windows 2000 install to a smaller partition. No resizing needed in that case, which is always iffy with Windows.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.